1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye lawn. Hello pond!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by kindredspirit, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    More great pictures, looks so peaceful there.

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Super job you have done with this project, one thing I would add is a willow tree...possibly down in Area "E" or just opposite the other side of the sea. I just think willows and water where designed to go together.

But its looking great as is, and your obviously enjoying the planting..:yho:...and so you should!

Steve...:)

3. leaves

leaves Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    beautiful pics - can't wait to see it this year throughout the seasons. Alot of hard work but really worth all the effort. If that was in my area all the local ducks would be in it. I have a tiny pond and they are never out of it - ducks sure do poop alot.

4. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586

I'd love to have a couple of weeping willows Steve. They're actually my favourite tree but unfortunately I can't as their roots would crack the concrete walls of the pond. For the same reason I had to remove some apple trees left from the original lawned garden as some of their roots had become enormous. The fate of the Copper Beech hangs in the balance, although I've put in an underground concrete wall between it and the pond walls.

Here's a piccie of the bottom fountain icing up in the cold weather. (-11.6°C Friday night.)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      oh my! thats a huge block of ice! do you have fish in the pond? actually, looking at your previous pics its more like a lake - beautiful, i love the water its so relaxing to watch

Loopy

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      :gnthb: Woa Kindred how did I miss this..?? :dh::dh: That is a really beautiful project & the finished article is as loopy says so peaceful & relaxing looking.... Want to come & do mine.... Joking.. Beautiful :D Couldn't you have a couple of small Acers or Crabapples nearby for colour & interest Kindred. Their roots should be OK.. I do hope your plants in the pond will survive this will be very interesting to see how they fare & maybe the rest of us should be a tad more adventurous with ours if yours survive this freeze.. :) So have you done all this work yourself or had help as it is superb for such a short period of time... Take my hat off to you Kindred very nicely done... :cnfs: So does your house turn green when the temp drop below freezing..?? :lollol: Where did you get that paint then.? :lollol: Sorry kindred just struck me as a funny... :D

• kindredspirit

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      Hi Marley,

I found that apple tree roots get VERY big as I had a 35 year Brambley Seedling with absolutely enormous roots that I had to cut down alongside the pond. The roots were 4" in diameter and wouldn't think twice about moseying their way through the concrete walls of our pond.

Acers, artistically, would suit the area to a T but I would have to research first as to how big the roots would get. I couldn't find any definitive reference book about tree roots. Some people in garden centres would say the root system is the same width as the foliage on the tree! How stupid is that? The roots of my flowering cherries, out in the front garden, go ALL the way across the garden. The roots of a cordyline go straight down to Australia and don't spread.

The other big problem with trees next to a pond is all the leaves that invariably prefer death by drowning than by flying over the wall to our neighbours' gardens. Leaves in a pond can be a big problem.

Hi Loops,

I don't want goldfish as I want the pond to be as natural as possible. I put in 10 sticklebacks, although this may have been a mistake as I believe they, newts and frogs don't get on. But still, I suppose, sticklebacks are part of the natural life around here. The trouble is, you can't see sticklebacks in the water, normally.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      :wink: Well I was thinking more of these minature Crab apples that are about now Kindred, but you are right leaves are a big problem & especially if overhanging... Yew trees obviously away from the pond edge would be very nice as they are very slow growing. Take a nice shape easily & you could keep the roots in check by cutting round in a circle twice a year with a Drain spade.. Well that is what we do anyway.. :wink:

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
      Ratings:
      +694
      I totally missed this too, sorry.
      What a wonderful pond Kindred. The frozen fountain picture is amazing!! :)

• kindredspirit

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      Update in February.

It's not looking good. The continuing hard frosts are decimating a lot of the plants. Cordylines appear to be gone. Phormiums are heaps of mush. Uvaria Nobilis, flattened mush. Loquat black. Fuschias not looking good. Some bamboos totally grey. Even the ivies are totally blackened and their leaves now falling off. My ferns are in a very sorry state as well.

The frosts have been relentless nearly every night, -11°, -8°, -6°, etc, etc,. It was balmy for a couple nights, though, when it only reached -1°! :) :) The frost has split hosepipes and three of my spray guns in the garage . It was 1963 when we last had such a continuous cold period. What a time to start a new garden! :mad: :mad:

• Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +41
      I think the ferns, bamboos and ivy will be fine - they're hardy.

• takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
      +40
      Keep your chin up Kindred. Im sure a lot of it will bounce back in the spring.:gnthb: 02

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      You'll be surprised how well plants can recover :thumb:. In the past we have had plants that look as though they have given up the ghost but have eventually come back.

Good luck with it. :)

• lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
      +24
      Fear not!

They will come back. Let's hope the slugs didn't dig down deep enough either:D

• kindredspirit

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      On the left, Hoheria Sexstylosa, no green inside the twigs when I break them.
      At the front, one of the Yellow Wave Phormiums, looking pretty bad.
      In the middle, Uvaria Nobilis; was black mush, now its grey mush.
      Pic taken today.

[​IMG]

All my ivy was burned to crisp so I've cut them down to the ground.
      Cortaderia Richardii and an unknown type of Knipophia are OK though.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.