1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Microsoft

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by clanless, Jul 2, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    The other day I received a message from my browser (Firefox) telling me that they would no longer be supporting Vista.

I'm normally the sort of person that goes with the 'crowd' - so looked at upgrading Windows. A friend suggested that I look at an alternative FREE operating system called Linux and recommended the Ubuntu 'flavour' as this looks very similar to Windows - so should be easy for me to use straight away.

Well, I tried it this weekend on a spare hard drive - I'm keeping it.

A FREE operating system which is of little interest to hackers due to the relatively small user base - it's a win win situation.

So, if you've had enough of lining Bill Gates pockets - have a look at Ubuntu - I love it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Hi,

Yes it can be very good, depending on your needs.

The installation contains masses of free 'standard' programs and its gets you off to a quick start.

You can load in some extra programs that support Linux, but sometimes you will find some programs that will only run under Windows, it just depends on your needs, so do keep your old windows system usable.

Have only used Mint , very similar to Ubuntu, and with it you are advised to activate the inbuilt Firewall, off by default.

Though they say its less prone to being hacked etc, ( very debatable issue ) there are now free AV programs like this one from Sophos, so perhaps better safe than sorry ..?
      Free Linux Malware Scanner | Lightweight Agent for Linux Malware Detection and Removal | Sophos

Enjoy ...:smile:

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,919
        I have been on Linux Ubunto for several years and t'other half for many years longer. No complaints here.

• Like Like x 3