1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Government Allotment Petition ....

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Webmaster, Apr 21, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I wouldn't count on it. Just the other week I defended them about their plans to have a list of 50 species of plant that they were going to ban. They publicly stated that there was no such list and it wasn't happening. Just a couple of days after I defended them, it was on the news that there is going to be a ban on any number of plants, not specifically 50, so they weren't lying that time. They were just playing with words to effectively lie, as they always do.

I also remember the campaign to stop them selling off the last of our state owned woodland. They publicly scrapped that idea as a result of public pressure, then tried to resurrect the idea under a different name.

Or anyone remember the categorical promise of a referendum before accepting any change to the EU constitution? Good job they changed what they liked but called it the Lisbon treaty instead, that way again they hadn't lied or broken any promises because nobody promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty.

I'm afraid all government ministers, regardless of which party they belong to, are full of bovine manure and are not to be trusted in the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +1,308
      Signed!
      A disgrace!
      We need to build the concept of food security in this country not destroy it! Grrrrrr! Rant! Rant!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • AndrewBarratt

AndrewBarratt Gardener

Ratings:
        +55
        You're right, these career politicians are totally without scruples

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,520
          I lost my scruples years ago. Been searching for them ever since! :heehee:

• **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,347
          I found out today, not only are they selling the mining rights from underneath my freehold property to a fracking company, they are also thinking of selling off my tax information too!!

I HATE this Tory government (I know it's a coalition but the LD are all locked in a cupboard with tape over their mouths)

P**sed off, I don't want anyone damaging my garden!

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,520

Don't blame you. :blue thumb:

The tax thingie is being fought hard.

The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote that a land owner owns their property 'From the heavens above to the earth beneath'. This got changed ages ago when planes started flying overhead! Apparently they brought in a law that said you only have up to 50ft above your land.

They forgot to do anything about the 'earth beneath' bit, but there was a recent court case (fought in 2007/08 and appealed in 2009 between Star Energy and Bocardo) about who owns the rights to the land beneath you. This was nothing to do with 'fracking'. The final result awarded nominal compensation (think it was £1,000) to the landowner (Mo Al Fayed) for extraction thousands of feet beneath his land and accessed from miles away.

I don't know if this could be used as 'case law' but I'm sure it's being looked into.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
            +48
            It is only a few years ago that the torie government ishued a directive to all councils to make more land avaible for alotments to get more people growing food to inprove the helth of the nation .what the government should do is go to the families that created the brown fields making a fortune then left them for someone else to clean up,and tell them either spend some of that welth cleaning up their mess or give them the bill for it, ie'roting sheds contaminated soil, slag tips ect; we the tax payers can not aford to clean up their mess .and then they would have plenty of land to build on, or start conpulsery purches of their estates?

• Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
            +48
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,520
            I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.

There needs to be a positive way of making changes and not just trying to get the money out of the companies - who will get round it and we will end up paying anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1