1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Grass advice

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Natalie32, May 23, 2018.

1. Natalie32

Natalie32 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there - new to the forum and just posting to ask if anyone might be able to help with some lawn issues please?

I put in grass seed around 6 weeks ago and everything seemed to be going fine. Grass started coming through after 7 days, looked really healthy and continued to grow well up until the 4 week mark when certain patches seem to almost start dying back and started yellowing slightly. The lawn was cut 5 days ago and the grass is growing back very unevenly. I’ve attached a photo which shows the long, healthy looking areas and the patches that seemed to have stopped growing. The shorter bits seem quite fine and wispy in comparison.

It’s all been watered regularly and we’ve avoided walking on it, so not sure where I’ve gone wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      You may be expecting too much too soon Natalie. Keep grass moist but dont go mad with the watering. Looks ok in that picture.
      Keep mowing....regular mowing at least once a week and with the blades set at medium height.....and the grass height will stabilise :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Did you by any chance use one bag of grass seed or did you use different packets as you purchased small amounts?
        Did you add soil in places or compost or any type of pressed fertiliser?

• Like Like x 1
        • Natalie32

Natalie32 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks for replying.

Verdun - I’ll cut down on the watering and give it another cut this week. I think I probably am being a bit impatient, but it seemed to be doing so well and now it’s looking a bit unhealthy. Just wondered if I’d done anything to mess it up.

Liz - I used two big bags of seed, but the two were pretty evenly distributed. I didn’t use any fertiliser at all. The healthy area in the middle is where the ground was probably the worst (there was a gravel path there before). Would it be worth me using a lawn feed now, or would that damage it?

Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            With this warm weather I would wait on the feed as it’s a bit early too.
            The chances are the dark areas of grass have more nutrients than the lighter coloured areas. I’m guessing you added soil but not all over hence the coloured patches.
            This is why you are seeing a different colour and growth rates.

• Like Like x 2
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hi @Natalie32 :sign0016: to GC.

I've just viewed your picture and your lawn looks healthy and sometimes some area's can grow quicker than others...try not to worry to much and water and cut your lawn as Verdun as recommended.

Some times lawns besides plants can get you worrying to much...been there and how the winter as been and now the warmth...just bare with it :)

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              We need to relax more and worry less, don't we Gail? Thats why our gardens are so important to us :)

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Yes your right their Verdun[​IMG]... as I can actually admit I was in a right worried state [​IMG]