1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grasses for sun bed

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Candy Kingsman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Candy Kingsman

Candy Kingsman Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I want to create a Mediterranean bed in full sun, I have light sandy soil. I want to know which grasses don’t seed or send out runners and I’m thinking of planting with verbenaBonairensis(probably wrong spelling lol) Russian sage androsemary. Any other plant ideas or advice would be appreciated.I hope to start this bed in April/May time. Thank you for reading.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,390
      Hello Candy, welcome to GC :) That sounds like a good project, with ideal soil! Stipa tenuissima is a very pretty grass that looks like long blonde hair floating in the breeze when it flowers. It might seed a bit, but it's not aggressive. Then there's Festuca glauca...a stunning, blue, shorter, tuft-forming grass. I'd also suggest looking at the Cistus family. Mostly small, evergreen shrubs with lovely big papery flowers in May and June. White, white with red blotch, pale pink, bright pink with or without purple blotch. Variations in leaf colour and texture too! They can be trimmed over just after flowering to keep them compact. Hope this helps.....

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,512
        A good choice for full sun :blue thumb:. Can get big if not trimmed regularly but always look good. Here's one of them from our garden.

P1280620.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          Hello and :sign0016: to GC forum @Candy Kingsman

How exciting planning your new border and discovering new plants.Oooo decisions, decisions ;) Hope these are helpful to you, I personally think the ones below are striking, give year-round structure and are very tactile to the touch too :) There are such lovely varieties with so many color combinations to choose from too- So happy hunting :blue thumb:
          ornamental grass varieties - Recherche Google:
          [​IMG] Festuca glauca "Blue Fescue"
          Grown for its stiff, architectural blue foliage, the Blue Fescue is a useful evergreen grass for year-round interest. From early summer, the foliage is complemented by short, blue-green flower spikes. This hardy little perennial looks quite at home in patio pots, rockeries, gravel gardens and borders, mixing nicely with perennials, alpines or even small shrubs. Festuca glauca has a particularly neat, clump-forming habit that remains nicely compact as it grows. This hardy evergreen grass is easy to grow and virtually maintenance free. Height and spread: 30cm (12")

[​IMG] Carex 'Milk Chocolate'Sedge
          This clump-forming Sedge is grown for its slender chocolate brown foliage with a delicate pink tinge to the edge of each leaf. As autumn approaches, the dense foliage turns to attractive shades of orange and brown. Carex 'Milk Chocolate' is a superb evergreen perennial grass which is at its best when grown in generous swathes throughout borders or planted into winter containers. Perfect for adding texture and winter interest to the garden! Height: 60cm (24"). Spread: 40cm (16")

[​IMG] Muhlenbergia_capillaris_Cotton candy grass
          [​IMG] Aureola (Hakonechloa macra). Ornamental Aureola Grass
          [​IMG] Pennisetum-setaceum-Fireworks fountain grass

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Feb 5, 2018