1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greecko's Veg Garden

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Sprayed it with glyphosphate to kill the grass and all the rest, then just ploughed it and power harrowed it afterwards! Weve a farm but also neighbours with the equipment so handy for us. You definitely would need a heavy duty rotovator. We have been getting torrential rain last few days and its soaked naturally with no cover. I've my spuds ordered but don't think they'll be going in anytime soon alas! This first year is really for the fun, was going to just leave it all and keep spraying but cant be bothered :P if nothing grows so be it

• Like Like x 1
    • Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      Just curious, but when you all plant your veg such as cabbages, cauli's and broccoli out into your open plots, do you cover them all with cloches to protect them yeh? I know I'll need protection against pests such as rabbits and possibly deer so was going to use netting but would a cloche be better?

• Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
      Ratings:
      +238
      I use net for all my veg, but my veg patch is in a raised bed off the ground by 3 feet. The benefit of net is the rain will get through. You'd need to have the time to remove cloches or water irrigate . The bunnies could probably eat through netting! The ones round here certainly could. I have seen nets built onto a wooden frame which are probably bunny and deer proof. With the height of broccoli you are probably working on this basis anyway.

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      So I have finally got myself some Maris Piper seed potatoes! A little late but Im still ;lodding away at the Garden still. They are Maris Piper and I got them from our Veg supplier (Im a Butcher) so they got them from one o the farmers who supply them. Ive got a good 5kg if not farm more, probably more than I need!

Anything particular I should do with Maris piper? Ive read a few things on them but generally know from selling them and of course eating, that they are a popular potatoe here. Getting excited now...about potatoes...stereotypically Irish right now

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      First spuds in the ground! Finally! Now to get another row ready and planted and pray to the potatoe god that he looks after them and the deer and slugs dont eat them all!

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      More potatoes planted, all maris piper and some unknown my granda got for me, big difference in quality as one was from a commercial grower and the other im unsure about but werent stored properly.

I know I am going to be late, but its more about getting something in the ground rather than leaving it bare. Roughly when can I expect to harvest? Late September? If they even grow ^^

Anybody have bother with deer? Ive read that potatoe foliage is poisonous but deer seem to manage to nibble o wreck everything

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      So a little update, also could a mod kove this to allotments as when i made this eons ago there used to be a project subforum i think :biggrin:

Just a few photos to show whats up, first pic is the area i didnt get time to do and had ground elder, lovely collection of weeds.

Second shows the difference, spuds on the left are the unknowns and on the right the commercials, sown same time.

Lastly what kind of slower is this? has thorns but doubt itd be a rose? lots of flowers and its climbed up the side of a fence post

sorry but uploading via my phone so havent a clue how theyll lineup!

20150705_102736.jpg 20150705_102712.jpg 20150705_102902.jpg

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      Wow how time has flown past but little changed! Nothing really new except chickens were added to one side and some raspberry plants too! They done ok I guess, great fruit but would love more!

This year I have it covered in plastic to kill off some of the bind weed and other nasties that have taken over somewhat, than Ill be tilling it up and planting something other than potatoes to rest the ground as Im bored of them.

Also looking at apple trees for the upper half of the garden!

• Like Like x 1