Greenhouse construction

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by He who dares, Jul 28, 2024.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    I much prefer my soil borders for growing rather than containers and grow bags on slabs. There are pros and cons for both setups but I find my plants don't need so much watering with their roots deep in soil, I can leave them for a weekend whereas growbags need watering once a day.

Whilst on the subject of watering I have a hosepipe through the base connected to leaky hoses and a water timer so it can go for a week or more with no attention.

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    I grow in soil beds in the GH too. Agree re reducing the need to water. I probably water every 3-4 days at most, it’s usually when I notice them looking a bit droopy. I’ve got a 2litre milk carton sunk into the soil by each tomato plant, top downwards (no lid on), a few stabbed holes in the sides and the bottoms cut off. When I water, I simply go along filling each one up. They drain quickly as it’s not about a slow drip system but it does help the water down into the soil with less run off onto the path. It also means that I give plants roughly the same amount and don’t miss any.

We usually go away for a 3-4 days break rather than weeks so I haven’t had to worry about watering while on holiday. If we were going to be away for longer, I’d probably plan in advance and adapt the milk carton system to make them into a slower release reservoir.

• Like Like x 2
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,154
      If you are at the pre-construct stage, then I would advise checking headroom depending upon your own height. Its better to build a wall than forever stooping or, God forbid, place your head through the glass !!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
        +36
        Thanks. I've looked at the height issue and it's ok for me, and that's the important bit!!
        Regards putting my head through the glass, I've got toughened glass, having a nod to the grandchildren!