Greenhouse Heat-Sink

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Antscran, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Antscran

Antscran Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

I am part of a team of students who are on a Product Development and Technology Integration Degree in Denmark. We are developing a greenhouse heat-sink concept and intend to do some prototype testing to determine how efficient such a system will be. We are also developing this as an Open Source product so will share all findings with everyone.

At this stage we have built a small greenhouse 2.6m(8.5ft)*0.8m(2.62ft)*1.5m(4.9ft), this will be partitioned so that one side will be a control providing baseline data and the other side will have a heat-sink fitted. We have a several dataloggers with temperature sensors to monitor each greenhouse and the ambient temperature, then we can collate the data over several weeks or more to see how effective the heat-sink system is.
    Prototype.jpg
    We also have a materials testing box to test the thermal conductivity, thermal mass and air flow through each material type.

Our aim is to make the entire system Open Source, we also have smaller key goals:

· Extended growing season and frost protection for your greenhouse
    · Keep the cost as low as possible
    · Easy installation and accessibility of parts
    · All plans, work instructions, technical documents, electronic design and software will be freely available
    · Low power system running from Solar and battery back-up
    · Eco-Friendly by using recyclable materials as much as possible

We have devised a very simply questionnaire which will take no more than 1 minute of your time, the questionnaire is designed to aid us in a 'House of Quality' study which determines which factors are most important to the user.
    The idea is to determine which criteria are most important to you and then place them in an order of importance.

Google Forms House of Quality Questionnaire

Further details about the project as we progress will be published at the below link:

Greenhouse Heat Sink further information and findings

An idea of what the finished product might look like
    Greenhouse Design.jpg

Thank you very much for your time and we are interested in all comments good or bad.

Best regards,
    Anthony Scranney

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,367
      That is an extremely interesting project Anthony and a well thought through post for us to digest.

This is a subject I've looked at (on paper!) from time to time. Initially it was brought to my attention by a TV program here in the UK called "Its Not Easy Being Green" - during which they (Dick Strawbridge) installed a heat sink under a normal greenhouse. He used broken glass as the heatsink and a simple fan/vent to circulate the stored heat. It was all a bit Heath Robinson and not a proper experiment with data loggers as you are proposing. There was never any follow up about how well it performed. You probably have seen this but an extract showing the build:

After that I have researched any literature that mentions the keywords "solar greenhouse". But nothing really comes near what you are looking at, in the past all I could find was the idea of using North facing walls as thermal mass.

I wonder if you should consider adding a 'control' unheated greenhouse alongside with loggers?

Also it would be great to actually grow some plants in there :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Antscran

Ratings:
        +21
        Hi JWK,

Thank you for the comments and Dick Strawbridge is a very cool inventor. I am from the UK and saw these episodes, which was the inspiration for the idea. We want to test the heat-sink and also improve it, so people can actually see the value from it. Ideally the information we gather should also allow people to scale everything up, so it can then be used for any size greenhouse.

Ideally we wanted to have 2 full size greenhouses side by side and were partnering with a greenhouse supplier here in Denmark, but their interest has fallen off. So our plan is to offer everything Open Source and it allows us to continue with the project whilst studying for our degree.

Yes the concept greenhouse is split into 2 sections:

1: With the the heat-sink and loggers provide heat-sink data
        2: No heat sink and loggers to provide base-line data

I cannot even send a link via a conversation as this forum has rules set in place, I will try and remove the protocol and message it over to you JKW. If you are happy that the form is satisfactory, posting in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,367
          • Like Like x 2
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,247
            Done
            same here no response on the submit button ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
          • Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
            Ratings:
            +238
            I've filled this in twice each row. But no response when hitting the submit button, help?

• Antscran

Ratings:
            +21
            Hi Harry,

Thanks for looking at the survey, I just ran a test which I delete from the results and it worked ok.

You have to ensure that there is only 1 answer per column and all categories are answered, or the form will not be allowed to submit. We need to implement this as the order of importance for each has to be listed, or the data will be skewed.

I have amended the comments on the form to explain this and sorry if this caused any misunderstanding :-)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Antscran

Ratings:
              +21
              Hi Gwen,

Thank you for looking at the survey and sorry you had a issue, I just tested the survey (as per Harry's response) and can confirm it appears to be working ok.

You have to ensure that there is only 1 answer per column and all categories are answered, or the form will not be allowed to submit. We need to implement this as the order of importance for each has to be listed, or the data will be skewed.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,247
              So its only one answer per COLUMN , so the survey is to put 5 items in order of importance.
              A little confusing Ant, you may want to reword it a little.
              Bet JWK got it right first time , he can read instructions !

• Antscran

Ratings:
              +21
              Sorry for any confusion caused, I have placed some of the text in BOLD so that part should stand out.

• JWK

Ratings:
              +46,367
              No I didn't, it wasn't what I was expecting - but the instructions did make sense once I read them :)

@Antscran - do keep us posted with the results and how your project progresses.

• Antscran

Ratings:
              +21
              I intend to our course finishes in June but we should be working on the prototype for the next 6 weeks and should be able to log data up until June. The prototype is a temporary construction in a friends garden and his wife wants it down in June as well, we should hopefully have some usable data by then.

This is something I have been interested in for a long time, if only I had a garden I would construct 2 prototypes and perform a long term study....but until that days arrives this will have to do.

In the process of setting up a Google community, I also have my own website where I share tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics, so will dedicated a small section of the site to this as well. We have a fair amount of information based on research but nothing is conclusive and we need to collate all this into one place where it can be easily viewed.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
                +846
                Survey submitted. A very interesting project, I shall watch as you go along and am keen to see your findings. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,781
                  I have no objections to this, not least as its an open source project that hopefully many will benefit from :blue thumb: - I will flag it to the rest of the staff just to be doubly sure.

This is a very interesting idea @Antscran - as a matter of interest, is the theory to gather heat during the day and then have the stored heat used overnight to keep the greenhouse warm, or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick?

Welcome to GB by the way :sign0016: - hope you get the advice and input you need, and hopefully we will gain your company as a long standing member :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                    Ratings:
                    +49,781