Greenhouse location

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Steve R, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I've still not started any work on this project as yet, I now considering Hbc's idea of siting next to the house for max sunlight over the church wall. A lean to greenhouse is out of the question as I already have bought and 8x6 greenhouse that is still boxed up and in various places around the house.

I dont really want to unbox it so to speak until I'm ready to put it up, can anyone advise me if the glazing clips (sort of a squiggly w shape) fit on the outside or inside? I'm worried if I site it next to a wall that I may need access to replace glazing in the future.

Steve...:)

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Steve,

Glazing clips fit on the outside and its not fun fitting them when its cold!

8x6 greenhouses can be lifted complete by two people, my experience anyway.

just a thought, but why would you glaze the side nearest the wall? The guttering would mean that the frame couldn't go against the wall but some battening would provide the weather-proofing you require.

Make sure the floor of the greenhouse is below the house's damp-course.

good luck

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Steve, put it where the shed is. Going by your photo`s there is NO problem with the light levels, and that is the most important. As for heat, you can do what everyone else does, and control it artificially.:gnthb:

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Steve,

On reflection, forget my above post as you've already got your greenhouse and go with David's suggestion although I would make the path a bit wider to make access easier and safer.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you have a problem putting in the glazing clips use a small screwdriver for leverage.:thumb: