1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse parrafin heater ????

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Spruce, Feb 4, 2012.

1. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    All thinking much the same.

Well having read the verious thoughts on the "heating of the greenhouse's"
    I think we're all thinking along the same lines,

Ive been to the local garden centre here today and could'nt help but notice the amount of stuff that was'nt moving ie potatoes, they we're selling but not as fast as normal also fruit tree's are cheaper this year than last,

So all in all the writings on the wall, garden but try to be wise about it.:cool:

2. Carl

Carl Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Here`s the thought I had for heating our greenhouse (3 compartment )24 x12 (one compartment 4 foot and 8 foor and one 12 foot ) I intend to heat the 4 foot and the 12 foot section

Ive got a 5kw Webasto diesel heater (heats water to 80c) and im thi nking of connecting it up to a couple of radiators in the 2 compartments and running it on waste oil throught a timer circuit and stat

do folks think this ill work ?

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would find a web site that does a neat-loss calculation for you; you should be able to enter the "thermal efficiency of the building" and thus you would be able to indicate that the "building" is glass, rather than a double-block-with-cavity-fill thermally efficient wall :)

That will then tell you how big the radiators need to be, and from that you can decide if that is a runner, or not.

The victorians used to heat their hot houses like that I think? They had large meta pipes in ducts in the floor, covered with a nice decorative grill, and they gave off continuous heat along their length. They may also have run a couple of pipes (above ground) around the perimeter of the house [I can't remember] which would have counteracted the cold of the glass.

However, the downside I see with this is the hysteresis. The more radiator volume you add, to get the heating effect you need, the more residual hot water is in the system, and the more the temperature will overshoot when the thermostat shuts the heating system off. You might be able to get a fancy control system that "anticipates" the overshoot and turns the heat off before it is reached (and back on before the temperature falls so far that it will undershoot your minimum target)

If you have 3 compartments then heating the middle one is probably best - insulated by the two either side that will above external ambient temperature.

4. Carl

Carl Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    the radiator size will be determind by the size of the ones im taking out the house - there free :lol: - as for turning the system on and off im thinking that the greenhouse will be so thermally inefficiant that having it running all night still wont cause it to get too warm in there

the idea of heating the end compartments was then the center one would also remain frost free and the one with staging in will be the first compartment

5. shooting pete

shooting pete Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

6. shooting pete

Ratings:
    +1
    hi I have a lot of old Aladdin heaters in my greenhouses.
    i use 28sec heating oil same stuff as paraffin bedding plants all good. my paraffin heaters are all Aladdin
    201 202 and 203 can`t beat them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. shooting pete

Ratings:
    +1
    hi i have a lot of old Aladdin paraffin heaters i use in my greenhouses.
    i use 28sec heating oil its the same stuff as paraffin all my bedding plants are good
    you have to leave the windows open about 3in been using it about 5 years now with no probs.
    was paying £4.50 paraffin .

8. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I used a Paresene , paraffin heater in my greenhouse for over 7 years . Used from the end of March when I put my plants out from the house . Always lit it if temp was going to be less than 6°C . Bought a new Parasene last season - I could not keep the thing lit :gaah: It was absolutely useless ,and Parasene would not answer emails or phone. I threw it our for scrap, and fitted 240v to the GH , and run a small oil filled radiator when needed - works great :blue thumb:
    So if you are thinking of a heater avoid Parasene !

• Informative Informative x 1
    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,953
      I no longer use paraffin in my wooden green house.
      It smells awful.
      It seems money flowing out of the gaps.
      I cover everything with fleece when needed ,we do live in the south east so is positively barmy compared with further north.
      The greenhouse is absolutely full at the moment so hoping for lots more mild weather.
      I have bubble wrap for extra cover if needed.

• shooting pete

Ratings:
      +1
      hi.i had 3 parasene big red heaters in my greenhouses years ago all rubbish I was using 4lts a night
      no good got my old Aladdin 201 202 and 203 heaters all my 3 greenhouses are full of
      bedding plants.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 19, 2017