Greenhouse - Winter Power Savers ?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by ricky101, Aug 20, 2022.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    Yes it did take up valuable space and smelled awful too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      With our commercial propagation glasshouse, we will be looking to condense things into a smaller area. I will probably do this with wooden battens to stretch straining wire which I will then attach thermal screen. We already have an automated thermal screen, then we are not heating the roof of the greenhouse, the thermal screen is made with aluminium fabric to reflect the heat back down.

We close them during the winter as soon as day time temperatures start to drop, so to trap the heat generated from the sun.

Depending on the size of your greenhouse, height, it could also be possible to do the same. With eye bolts fitted down each side of the guttering, you could then stretch some straining wire that you could slide the thermal screen by hand, probably best to staple it to some roof battens for ease of sliding opening and closing. You are then making your greenhouse into a box shape, so your not heating the roof space.

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,782
        And paint them matt black. Absorbs the heat better and is a good radiator.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,444
          We used to have a couple of blowaways in the greenhouse just to create extra shelving space. In the winter we kept the plastic covers on and it did help a bit. In the summer we removed the covers so they were just shelving. Everything was fine until the plastic fell apart and we never bothered to replace them. So we still have them as just shelving in there.

• Like Like x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +48,968
            A few years ago I swapped to using a £30 ish digital thermostat to control my fan heater. It made a big saving as recorded by my power consumption device, paid for itself in one winter. Cheap fan heaters have poor bimetal thermostats with hysterisis effects that waste electric.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,291
              All our heaters ,eg Greenhouse and props are on digital control and the greenhouse min has always been set at 4c which seems to readily keep most things ticking over well, some even growing away.
              However think we will be taking it down to 1c or 2 c this winter.
              Just glad we have 10mm twinwall polycarbonate glazing these days, must save a lot of heat, though its installation was due to footballs breaking the glass!

• Like Like x 3