Grey Imports

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    One source of cheap/er techy things is 'manufacturer refurbished' kit which usually come with a guarantee. Our son has a refurb laptop that he saved a bundle on and it's still going strong after five years. The VDU on my second PC is a refurb and only cost £30 - it's perfect. I got Mrs W some Sony noise-cancelling headphones as manufacturer refurbished, they cost half as much the lower spec ones I bought new from Maplin.

• Like Like x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      All in all it comes down to money and getting the best deal there is out there, Woo:snork: . Grey Market sources aren't illegal just not approved by manufacturers and they want to keep the cameras at the highest prices. In today's global market where you can virtually buy anything from anywhere via any supply route we've already seen the casualties of those trying to hold a monopoly of prices and supply. I'm not saying it's a good thing for our long established method of buying something [i.e: the High Street} but it's seems to be an unstoppable change....for better or worse.
      The Canon SX50 certainly has high ratings from all the reviews, Woo, and the only comparatively priced same level of camera is the Pansonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, other cameras of the same class being higher priced. The only thing that I possibly would not like, [but what would I know:dunno: :heehee:] about the Canon SX50 is the slightly slower f.3.4 lens but again it's pretty fast at f.6.5 when at full focal length:snork: So all in all it's a very nice camera.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,663
        Good evening all and many thanks for all your views and helpful comments my friends,there are only two cameras that will suit my needs :)

The Cannon SX50 which has the 50 x zoom(25-1200mm)
        The Panasonic FZ200 which has a F2.8 all the way through the lens(25-600)mm

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        Hi Woo
        Similar to Steve, I have two grey imports and one Refurb

The Refurb came with full guarantee, plus it had be fully checked out by FUJI (they only check one in fifty on the production line for new ones)

Next my Sony's, like procam, supplied in UK paid for to China
        I just phoned Sony, and explained I had bought their camera whilst on a cruise, visiting Shanghai
        No problem sir, just register it on line, which I did, and got confirmation back full warranty (done that twice)

So fly down the internet and get what you decide to get

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
        • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,615
          If you are tracking prices on Amazon dont forget the hugely useful but rather strangely named camelcamelcamel.co.uk website, which logs the prices over time, so for the Cannon SX50 they have the price dropping £10 in the last couple of days, whilst the panasonic hasnt moved much in price at all.

• Like Like x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,663
            Thanks Jack and Armandll and Oxford/N my friends for your input its much appreciated:)

• Like Like x 2