1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing fruit and vegetables

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by sweetiex, May 10, 2017.

1. sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Our's is were the fence from the right goes to it's a large garden we just moved here a few months ago so trying to fix the mess out,tenants from the past used to use it for growing in but sadly it was left in this state,we are not used to having a garden this big or growing so it's all new to us,our neighbour said we have conquered it were other's have failed so it's been worth it then :hapydancsmil:

2. sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    garden.JPG posh garden now.JPG

Here is the finished result just getting our shed erected today then we start the sowing of a new lawn,down by worzel the scaregrow to the right we are going to plant the potatoes carrots brussel sprouts and maybe lift the peas and keep them altogether,still don't know were the raspberries will go,we want a few fruit trees maybe down the bottom end of the garden but I've been told the Scottish borders will be difficult for growing them it gets very bad in the winter and the garden is very open.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      What a cracker of a plot! And already you have made a massive improvement to is.

You will be able to grow fruit trees as long as you pick the right type for your environment - Duns is fortunate in some respects as it is sort of shielded by the Lammermuirs behind it, and you are far enough from the sea for the 'sting' to be taken out of the wind.

I think you would struggle with the likes of a Victoria Plum, but reckon a Damson would do quite well for you. Apples (especially cooking apple types) should also do well I reckon. And don't forget that the trees themselves will eventually provide some shelter.

You might want to try Loganberry plants too - they are a bit like raspberries, but are a cross between blackberries and raspberries, and great for cooking (jams, pies etc).

I take it that you have moved from elsewhere in the country?

• Like Like x 1
      • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
        +40
        We moved from Edinburgh to biggar about 6 years ago but this house came up that is better for us apart from the garden lol,we are used to communal but I'm a hardy lassie and got stuck in digging it was solid ground and that horrible grass rack stuff.

we were going to buy a cox's apple tree had it in the trolley ready to go but the branches were all thick green stuff on it so I went to ask about it as I was worried as they are not cheap,the guy there then said it was no good for us such a shame as it's my husband's favourite apple,he said to go for a james grieve and buy it the end of this month or beginning of june it's still pretty cold here through the night.

We have a loganberry just one but it's none too happy still in the container leaves are not very green,things have been put on hold getting this shed up and we don't know were to plant it,we also have a glen lyon but it's not got leaves on,depending how we get on we might buy more or wait till next year,the sowing of the lawn is worrying me a lot :frown:

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,622
          Once you get the loganberry in the ground and it finds its feet, it will be off and running :blue thumb:, as will the Glen Lyon - give it a couple of years and you will be over-run with the things.

You are probably about 6 weeks behind us in terms of weather and overnight temps, so now is about right for getting stuff planted. Don't sow the lawn until you are getting overnight temps of 10ยบ - any colder than that and the grass won't germinate.

• Like Like x 1
          • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
            +40
            We are thinking maybe grow the rasps up the side of the shed or along beside next door's fence to the right,any idea how many plants we need and do they grow right out width wise?we also might buy green gages or gooseberries very exciting if they do ok,had right bad luck with my flowers out the front this cold windy weather!

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,622
            I started with six raspberry plants, and now have no idea how many I have - I will try and remember to get a photo of mine tomorrow. Loganberry, it was just one plant a good chunk of the back of our garden is loganberry. They expand by throwing out underground runners that pop up inches or even many feet from the original plant, so I would be wary about putting them up against the shed. Mind you, your neighbours might end up with unwanted raspberry plants if you put them up against the fence :snork:

I bought mine from Ashridge Nurseries - excellent service, good prices and healthy plants. Goosegogs should do well for you too; you would want a good few of them I think. I have two, but never really had enough fruit from them to do anything meaningful with. Greengages or Damsons are also a good one, definitely - we had a few damson trees when I was a kid, and they were always hanging with fruit; that was in SW Scotland, but I don't imagine that they would do all that differently where you are.

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,398
              • Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                +40
                I really don't know were to put them in that case oh mind you our new fence to the left could be an idea,part of the land behind the fencing is ours as well a good 3 foot or so which is tarmac so can't bother neighbours on the other side and I will be able to see from my kitchen window result ;)

• Like Like x 2
                • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                  +40
                  reduced pixel plants.JPG

My poor loganberry looking drab it's wet enough just don't know if it's weary because of being kept in the container for a few weeks :sad:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,622
                  Pot him on into a larger pot, that will keep him amused for a wee while

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                    +40
                    I'm thinking of planting him right into the ground maybe tomorrow weather permitting,any tips on doing that as it's all lawn beside the fence,will he like being beside grass or shall I have to make a wee area especially for him :biggrin:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,622
                    He'll be happy wherever he is, as long as his feet are free from grass and weeds - dig a big enough hole that you can get the whole rootball in to avoid too much disturbance, and water in well :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
                    • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                      +40
                      Mr loganberry will be planted tomorrow the wind is doing my head in today,was out at the garden centre in kelso this afternoon I love it there,bought another glen lyon this one has leaves on it our other one is just sticks bought from b&q reduced price a few weeks ago,I gather it won't come to anything this year?
                      Got a goosegog and some sweetcorn plants and loads more pebbles for our path out the back,should have got a ton bag the amount we've spent lol :doh:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                        +17,487
                        Lots of potential there weetiex! :)
                        Is that you in the middle of the plot? :yahoo:

• Funny Funny x 2