Growing grapes inside

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Beefy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Thats a good idea rosa, let your two main stems grow and train them into the position that you want them, any side shoots that appear from them you can pinch out the tips after they make three or four leaves.

2. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice pic pete. Are the roots of your vine in a barrel,in the floor or out through the wall?

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks pete i know what to do now i have some growing each side of those two main stems, i dont suppose mine will look like yours but with a little helping hand i can get it over the arch as this is positioned in front of my kitchen window.
    in the winter i cover the bottom part of the vine with fleece just to protect it from these north-easterly winds. rosa

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    rosa, I doubt that any protection will be needed, but every little helps. ;)

I dont have it anymore Beefy, I had to get rid when the greenhouse was taken down to make way for a conservatory. :(
    But it grew there a good few years and cropped well most years, splitting of the fruit, grey mould, and something called "shanking" were the main problems I came across.
    The root was inside the greenhouse, but unless your base footings are about two to three feet deep (unlikely) it will find its way under eventually, so minimal watering is nescessary once established.
    One other point to bear in mind, I also liked to grow other plants in the same greenhouse and overwinter them, this caused a bit of a problem, as the vine likes a very airy atmosphere when ripening, which didn't suit some of the other plants so you end up with a compomise, hence the grey mould.
    Some frost in the greenhouse in winter helps as well.

[ 19. June 2006, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: pete ]

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    The vine is in a large clay pot was told maybe next year i will need a bigger pot for it.
    I have pinched out the tips on two stems from the side so what will actually happen now i can assume the main stems will grow quicker and stronger from rosa

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Should do rosa, it diverts the growth, to some extent, to the unpinched shoots. But the ones you pinched will probably reshoot maybe to two shoots each, you can then repinch them after they have formed a leaf or two.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    iff they get a chance pete as the winds here in the north east are horific, i think there is a storm brewing and everything is getting a battering its been like this for three days now.
    I shall be so upset iff anything goes wrong with this vine with the effort i have put into it. rosa

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Its a bit breezy down here at the moment but I think you may be getting it worse than us, hope it doesn't get too bad.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    pete it is dreadful its like winter starting all over again, im really worried about my vine, climbers and flowers in fact my clematis had just got a flower on it and it is nearly ruined.
    when morning approaches i keep thinking the winds have ceased and here we are again all my plants are getting whip lashed.
    hope it is better tommorow rosa

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just to let you know the winds have died down after 4 days its raining now, have lost a few bedding plants but the vine is ok rosa