growing nothing more disaster

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, Sep 6, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My neighbour has grown the finest runner bean plants that I have ever seen, only problem is, no beans!

She said the flowers that didn't get knocked off by the wind, got washed off by the rain! ;)

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    that is real sad DAG. HOPE it will be a better year next year.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    see loads of people all over the country are having problems that is sad dag :(

4. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sad maybe, but not that bad rosa, just think of past times when their lives depended on their harvest?

We can shrug our shoulders and try again next year!

So have another drink and get back on your balcony rosa there is no excuse!!! :D :D :D

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Dag suppose thats the way to look at it, did with a lot of plants i lost over the years.
    my friend has just joined sunrise from berwick you will see her popping around the forum.
    just answered you before :D :D get my meaning

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney.Just got to your post.Thanks for that advice.I never realised that about the watering,and we have been growing Runner Beans for the last 26 years.We live 9 miles from our allotments,and with my Sciatica problem,couldn't water as much as usual.

I will remember that for future years

Thanks Kandy [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,523
    FANCY
    The weed ground cover is great but don't forget to leave bare ground for root crops and salad crops.

Kandy
    As you live so far from your allotment it will make it easier that you don't have to water the beans so often. Do you have a hosepipe at the allotment? If you do then it is easy to give each plant a lot of water directly at the root.
    ---------------
    shiney

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney.We are not allowed to use hosepipes on our allotment as they are private ones and we have a water meter.Some of the old chaps go down there very early and use one when no one is around.Our nearest waterpipe is only 25 yards away,so it is annoying.

We are all trying to get allotments in this new village being created where I live,but there is a lot of red tape and the builders are dragging their feet in handing over any land.Allotments don't come before profit,I'm afraid,but thanks for your advice.

Kandy

9. poppet

poppet Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking exactly the same as you Rosa - terrible bean crop, poor yield from peppers and a short life span of the aubergines (don't even mention the potatoes). It's time to give up I tell myself BUT I just know that when winter turns to spring my mind will turn to my garden and I'll be off again [​IMG] Liz

10. ricky

ricky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rosa
    if you want to enjoy gardening all year round you should try setting up an indoor garden using hydroponics, it sounds a bit technical and scary at first but its actually really easy and fun!
    i've been growing strawberries and tomatoes using hydroponics for about 2years now and i would'nt go back to soil in a million years! If you want a good place to start id suggest getting a starter pack (check out aquaculture-hydroponics.co.uk thats where i've been going and they're really good for advice too!)
    Hope thats helpful and happy gardening : )

11. rudy

rudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i've been up my plot today and harvested 20 pumkins, a bucket of spuds, 4 butternut squash,5ton of tomatoes and a punnet of strawberries. all of which i'm quite surprised as i had given up on most due to the weird weather(the strawbs in particular i was goin to rip out due to poor performance)so i'm made up! :D :D :D
    there was even a new bean plant growing, with a handful of beans on it, climbing through the tomatoes! now i know i didnt plant that there! the things that were disappointing were radishes, beetroot,french beans, cabbage and brussels. but next year will be better i'm sure! :D

12. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rudy.You have done well with your Pumpkins.I took the flowers off of a lot of mine,so that they would get big,and we don't even eat the blessed things.
    We did well with the French Beans,but not so good with the runners,due to the hot weather.
    We have done very well with carrots and Beetroot were monsters,best ones we have ever grown.We are just going to start on our cabbages.Our spuds haven't done as good as usual because of the heat and lack of water.Keep going though because nothing tastes as good as fresh :D :D