growing spring bulbs in containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Louiseness, Aug 24, 2011.

1. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    Hi Melinda! Looks like you might be giving me an incentive to get more bulbs....I'm already worried I won't have enough :heehee: I try and say to myself 'just one packet this time' which makes it worse as I end up spending half an hour whittling it down to one pack- then I end up buyign the rest later.

Like pamsdish says, the anemone will just grow towards the light I can't see it being a problem at all. They're pretty tough things despite looking like an extra large raison :heehee: I really must get more of mine in. I would put some in pots but I know I'll end up loosing them some how when I come to empty them :heehee:

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    This is an extract from the RHS site on bulb planting.........

1. Dig a hole wide and deep enough for your bulbs. Work out the planting depth by roughly measuring the bulb from base to tip and doubling or tripling this length – this figure is the rough planting depth. For example, a 5cm (2in) high bulb should be 10-15cm (4-6in) below soil level
    2. Place the bulbs in the hole with their ‘nose’, or shoot, facing upwards. Space them at least twice the bulb’s own width apart
    3. Replace the soil and gently firm with the back of a rake. Avoid treading on the soil as this can damage the bulbs
    Bulbs: planting / Royal Horticultural Society

I plant daffs about 15cm deep and tulips at 10cm. So I would put the daffs in first on layer planting , unless they are the little tete a tete's which I would do at 10 cm . As the RHS say plant 2 or 3 times the depth of the bulb, so I don't think it is that critical. I am sure the bulbs will sort themsleves out :thumbsup:

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Hi Melinda
    I have just planted some Anemones for the first time. When I opened the packet it looked like I had bought a packet of stones !- They are a peculiar shape.:rolleyespink: I understand they are not fussy which way you plant them...........but if you are unsure replant them now. 5 months is a long time to wait for a failure :gaagh: