Guess what I've bought....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Jan 20, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I wear trainers all the time (not indoors :D) and they don't get smelly. Mainly very thin lambswool socks (sometimes cotton), wash socks and feet regularly :heehee:. No problems.

I buy them direct from Hi-Tech, size 12 (most shops don't sell them that size :(), £25 per pair. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      don't forget to eat proper and take a good multivitamin at least 5 times a week ... a really good one is Solgar Omnium .... a bit pricy, but well worth the extra few pounds ... costs approx £30 for 60 tablets (£15 per month) .... label says to take 2 tabs per day .... one is more than enough if you take one tablet 5 times a week

http://www.elixirhealth.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=568

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I'm so glad you posted this. When I was a kid I loved Hi Tec trainers. All the trendy kids were persuading their parents to part with silly money for the latest Nike, Puma or Adidas ones, whereas I was more than happy with Hi Tec. Why? Because they were better. Simple as that. They were more comfortable, more durable, and really springy. I didn't realise they were still going though. I haven't seen nor heard of them for years. Having read your post, I've just looked them up, and there they are:dbgrtmb:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      You need to do at least three days a week, seperated by a day, to allow recovery

In 2000 the Millennium a private gym opened nearby,
      The Millennium GYM
      They advetised for volunteers over the age of 50 to take part in an evaluation excercise

I volunteered as I was over fifty, over weight very much so ie 20 st and very unfit

They had doctors examine us, monitored everything and commenced with the Chester Step test
      gave us a programme a group of twenty of us one hour MON, WED, and FRI
      Then checked us at the end

After three months, I had lost 2 stones, and along with the rest of the group I was given free Life Membership (£500 py)
      Due to work I lapsed as no time available but managed to go maybe twice a month
      The owner sold out last year, but I still went, and the new owner is honouring the Life Membership

Now I am about to retire and have more time, I am managing twice a week again, and in April when I am free, it will be back to three a week

Just now I am only losing about 10oz a week, but I intend to do something about it
      As I will have the time,then I will be able to cycle to the Gym, and do more hours,
      I already, although well overweight feel a lot better, and my target is to go from 18 to 12 st
      At the moment it is my wee luxury in life, gym , sauna , sunbed, good friendly mates and young women in Lycra on the treadmill infront of me:-)

My only problem is parking the Skoda amongst the RANGE ROVERS AND BEEMERS :heehee:

Jack McH

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      Can I join? :heehee:

Also, I didn't know Skoda made bikes :D

• Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Yes you can come along too as a guest, but would your heart take it ?
      and if you were to lose 3lb a month you would fade away

The bike is for the future
      I enjoy my SKODA FABIA VRS SE that I can afford but it is embarrasing parking it up
      You see I am just an "ordianry working man" who got free membership
      The rest are VERY WELL ORFT two have appeared on the TV MILLIONAIRES HOMES
      We get on fine naked in the showers/saunas, It is when I put my none designer clothes on that you get the sneers :o

Jack McH

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455

I only wanted to join because of the young women in lycra not because of the naked men!! :heehee:

I hope you don't get on too fine in the showers/saunas :rolleyespink: :loll:

• Like Like x 1
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,477
        If they drop the soap .... leave it!!:rolleyespink:

I gave up my three sessions a week at the gym due to costs so I am now having to think of an alternative to keep the weight down (I am now tipping over 9 1/2 stone!!)
        The bike and a few runs a week might help and I don't have stinky Trainers!:)

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        Gardeners don`t need gyms.:cool::cool::loll::loll:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        New Gardeners do Dai
        I have got 40 years of sitting, driving,and living on take aways to get rid of :)

Jack McH

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Well, I've survived my first training session with my mate, just.

I know my mate is into martial arts and has been for most of his life, so it wasn't much a surprise that we started with a bit of me having to rapidly attack some pads attached to his hands. Doesn't sound too hard, except he was hopping about his gym moving his hands everywhere while shouting numbers that represented simple combos he'd showed me.

Then in round two, it was much of the same, except this time there was random instructions to drop to the floor, and spring back up, and also random incidents of his pads retaliating so I had to duck and weave.

Then we got a bit of a circuit going with a minute each of press-ups, whacking various punch bags, sit-ups, weight lifting, more whacking things.....

About 45 minutes in, I was physically spent. I literally had nothing left and was actually on the verge of keeling over. My legs suddenly became unable to support my weight, and I went very dizzy and my vision went bad.

I know what happened. I've been dieting too, and although I made sure I had enough water to stay hydrated, I never gave much thought to salts (electrolytes). Lucky enough I picked up enough to drive home, and then found some rehydration stuff in the cupboard from when the wife was ill one time. Drank some of that and within minutes felt right as rain.

The lesson: Dont overlook your salt requirements. There's enough in your food for normal activity on a normal diet, but not when you massively reduce your food intake and the push yourself to your physical limit.

• Like Like x 2
        • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
          Ratings:
          +29,477
          Too much at once, take it slowly and build up slowly.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            Yes slow and build up
            In my controlled tests, it was 5mins cycle, 5mins treadmill, 5 mins rowing 5 mins ski, then abs, ie sit ups and stretching off and multi weights/disciplines, increasing two weekly to 10 then 15, after that it was same times but increased resistance

Three months lost lots of weight and fitter
            A year excellent then I had heavier work commitments, no time, slacked off had a stroke then a heart attack and lost it all

Now back after five years, at the beginning, but I know this time I am retired and have all the time in the world $eity willing

With the gardening also a new excercise never done before by Crimbo 2012 I will be fit as a lop or DEED :-)

Stick at it Clueless1 but please take it a bit slower
            (IT IS IMPORANT TO REST DOWN AFTER TRAINING OR YOU WILL HAVE A HEART ATTACK) The heart is full of blood and if you just stop so will the heart as it has too much blood to release
            So if you are running at seven miles an hour, for the last 3 minutes reduce it to FIVE for two minutes then walk at 3 for one minute

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,596
              We did warm up and then ease down. The easing down bit was, I admit, on this occasion just me slowing down because I couldn't continue, then stopping because I felt ill, but there was some pacing about and stretches before I drove home.

I think the trouble is, my mate knows the signs, and I saw the look on his face as he noticed me and said 'that's enough', I burnt myself out very suddenly. Not mere exhaustion, I think it was sudden onset of dehydration caused by my stupid diet regime, which is probably fine on its own, but not when combined with intense exercise.

Anyway, lesson learnt. I'll not push myself so hard next time, and I'll make sure I have some isotonic drinks handy rather than just plain water.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,455
              Reading this has made me feel so worn out that I've had to sit down and have a cup of tea!! :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 2