1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gutted, need advice urgently.

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Linz, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Apparently daffs, ragwort and iris too. I know I should get a friend for Cruella but I can't think about it at the mo.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      As my mum used to say, times a great healer :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,818
        Morning @Linz my friend I am so sorry to hear your sad news.you are in woos thoughts:grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Oh @Linz !! I wasn't on the forum last night so I've only just seen this :grphg: :grphg::grphg:

Ok, take my hand, sit down, take some deep breaths and .... listen! :comfort:
          Chickens hide illness supremely well - they have to so they do not get picked off by predators.
          Chickens *know* which plants are poisonous to them - just think, why would they eat something which was bad for them when they have so many other tasty yummies around them to munch on?
          Absolutely you are upset! Why *wouldn't* you be? You cared for them physically and emotionally. :grphg::grphg:

Regarding what to do with her now, you really do not have any choices. DEFRA states that she cannot be buried - nor are you allowed to put her in your wheelie bin (people have!) - the only way you are permitted to dispose of her is cremation (either you can do it, or, you can take her to the vets but they will charge you). When you perform the cremation is also something to consider; dusk is best after Cruella has bedded down for the night. :grphg:

I know it is too early to think about buying any more, but please spare a thought for Cruella. Hens are flock animals and don't tend to thrive in isolation. If you should decide to get more, may I suggest you buy two more? The reason being to avoid hen pecking.

RIP Heather :chicken: Linz remember this: you may only have had her for 7 months, but you gave her a wonderful 7 months! :grphg:

Be gentle with yourself :comfort:

Give your little one a big Happy Birthday hug from me, 4 years old is such a lovely age :cmonhug:

• Friendly Friendly x 6
          • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
            Ratings:
            +6,899
            I'm so sorry to hear your sad news:cry3:. I bury my pets in large pots with something pretty and wildlife friendly planted in the top, so I have a permanent reminder of them.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
              Ratings:
              +6,224
              Really can't help but feel awful over it. Just phoned the vets an autopsy is £109 and to send samples off is another £150. Again, feel awful. I can't justify spending that much. Going to cremate her in a bit, would rather do it when kids are in school. Neighbour phoned this morning to pop to the cash point for her and give a tenner to my son. Told her about the chicken and she gave me £20 for another. Tried not to take it but she insisted, bless her. I did contact someone about some silkies before I went to cornwall, fingers crossed I can get some this weekend.

Will give my boy a hug from you too @"M" :) Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,512
                Glad you are going to be getting more @Linz, and @"M" has given you the very best of advice in my opinion. I am utterly convinced that Heather passing is simply because it was her time, and nothing to do with anything you have or haven't done. Indeed, I would lay money that your hens are supremely well looked after, and as a result as happy and as healthy as they could possibly be.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  I remembered the name of the only plant I ever thought that chickens ate and is poisonous to them. It is Himalayan Honeysuckle Leycesteria formosa. Here is a link: Leycesteria formosa - Hortipedia
                  Google for more pictures. It is a common garden plant. Maybe it's in your garden. I had free range chickens for years and this plant was in my garden, resplendent in it's prolific berrying. One hen I noticed eating the berries. She sickened and died. I suspected this plant and dug it up, never to be planted again. My hens were genuinely free range; they even came into the house. :cool: :mad: :scratch:

There is no point in having a PM on her.....put the money to getting two more companions to your remaining hen. She won't be very happy alone. I say two because if you get only one your hen may dominate the new one and two they will be happier and better able to defend themselves against the hen you have. She will most likely be dominant as it is her space. Hopefully they will come to accept each other...........you'll just have to eat more eggs.

I'm a bit out of date and did not know that you can no longer bury backyard chickens....seems pretty over the top to me. When I had chickens, my children used to give them funerals and there are daffodil patches marking their graves to this day.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    DEFRA hasn't cottoned on to the fact that people keep hens as pets (shock! horror!!), so, their take on hens is the same whether you keep hens on a commercial basis, or, as a household with no commercial interests :rolleyes:

The other irony is not being able to dispose of them in domestic rubbish: erm, excuse me ... but just how many chicken carcasses are put out for the bin men on a weekly basis? :doh: Except, I suppose, if that were permitted, there would be unscrupulous hen farmers who would be filling up their neighbours food/wheelie bins :th scifD36:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                      Ratings:
                      +6,224
                      Thank you @Redwing and @"M" I cremated her earlier. Not something I want to do again, to be honest. I've bagged up the ashes and not sure where to put them..:sad:

I've messaged a breeder and hopefully I should be picking up some silkies on Sunday. I'm going to get 2 for definite, I may get more. Not sure yet. Although I think Cruella may get overwhelmed.. she's a very nervous hen. I let her out on the patio while I cleaned the coop out and I'm sure she was looking for Heather, she normally hides behind her. Other half came over earlier and he's gutted too, he grew close to Heather when he looked after them for 2 weeks :sad:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                        Ratings:
                        +49,512
                        You might find that the company gives Cruella a bit more confidence @Linz. You've done the hardest bit now - now give yourself time to heal :grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                          Ratings:
                          +6,224
                          Thank you FC :grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +31,885
                            :grphg: Well done :grphg:
                            Not a pleasant job by any means, but - unfortunately - it is all part of hen husbandry :grphg:

I think you should take them to the allotment and sprinkle them on your beds. :blue thumb:

I think Cruella will surprise you when you add to your flock; she has a chance at being top hen now.

Do be aware that there *will* be squabbles when you introduce new hens. It looks (and sounds) far worse than it is and they really do need to do that to establish their pecking order. They can take a few days to settle down. On rare occasions, it can get "messy" if you have an aggressive hen who won't give up and ends up drawing blood on the persecuted one :shakehead: There is a purple spray you can buy to spray on the wounded one which is also meant to deter the aggressor. If that doesn't work, you'll need to re-home the aggressor. As I say, that is rare though.

Tip: introduce new hens once Cruella has gone to bed for the night ;)

As FC has said, the hardest part is behind you now :grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                              Ratings:
                              +6,224
                              Thanks again M :smile: The silkies I'm picking up are 24 weeks old, praying it goes smoothly! I've got antilock spray and the purple spray on stand by.. it's brilliant for my own hair :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +31,885
                                :lunapic 130165696578242 5: