Hard landscaping questions - with pictures

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rosiemongrel, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Eddmarsh

Eddmarsh Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would always use a breaker hired from a shop it makes for much quicker and easier work. Also, have you considered hiring a local grab-waggon firm. It works out chaeper than skips and many will do a deal for clean hardcore because they crush and reuse as patio bases.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'd give you a hand, but I'm miles away (not that I really know what I'm doing, but I can smash concrete with a big hammer)

No I'm clueless:)

3. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    To quickly have any paving or land turned over at no cost to yourself..just notify the MOD that you think a WW1 bomb is under it and they will have it shifted in no time :)
    Failing that inform the police that you think drugs are buried under your patio :)

4. vegman

vegman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Smashing up a path with a sledge hammer can be made easier if you try to "chip" at it rather than just smash it down in the middle.

I try to explain - start at the edge and aim at about 3" from theedge with first blow, but not a flat blow. Imaging swing the hammer though 90 degrees from verticla ie 12 oclock to 3 oclock, make theblow at 4 oclock. You will slice the concrete that way. works on very thick patches to say 6" and you create smaller pieces which arnt as heavy. takes less effort too.

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well done Rosie - your garden will look so much bigger when the grass has grown in ! Thanks for asking - not that I have concrete to get rid of, but it has been really interesting to read all the replies - and now I know how to re-point, which i could do with getting done!

P.S. I have a Nissan Micra, and have shifted tons of gravel and sandstone over speedbumps to the tip. I too distribute the stuff around the car, and always make sure there's still a bit of bounce in the suspension before setting off.

6. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the grass where the concrete was has grown quite well (in front of the gravelly seating area). I have left the little fence / hazard tape construction up, as it makes the dog take a different route through the garden. I think it looks a lot nicer than the cracked old path which led nowhere! A couple of weeks and I can take the barrier down and enjoy my HUGE lawn!! :)

7. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rosie.

That's a wonderful job and the new lawn looks fantastic! :D

Ant.

8. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    What a beautiful green lawn Rosie, reminds me to make an effort to improve mine this autumn. 02

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Rosie, I see you again! :)

Garden looking great RM, the grass is growing well!