Hardy Geranium ideas

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Poppypuss, Mar 23, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    Perhaps it just doesn't like your conditions @ViewAhead . Sometimes plants stick two fingers up at us, no matter what we do, don't they!
    I don't grow a lot of them, because I find there are better plants to give me longer flowering periods, and I don't like the pale ones, apart from white. It doesn't mean they aren't extremely useful plants as they're so adaptable. :smile:
    I have a little alpine one - I like those.

• Like Like x 1
    • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +575
      Kashmir White is lovely but I only get a short single flush here and it doesn’t seem to like been crowded

Max Frei makes a lovely clump and here it seems do better where it’s in a drier spot. Also more sun that where it’s sulking maybe light-partial shade. Definitely worth a try as the foliage is very pretty as well as the flower, quite a punchy rich pink.

I have Dreamland in a north east facing border. Very pale pink and not at all thuggish, has neat mound of foliage

• Golarne

Golarne Gardener

Ratings:
      +219
      Great question @Poppypuss , and interesting answers. I’m often tempted by geraniums, only to find they’re not right for the location. I’m similarly digging some thugs up and moving others. My Kashmir White has gradually gone a bit feeble, perhaps not quite the right conditions, whereas Rozanne is too big for its spot. Unnamed pink ones from an aunt when we moved in are gradually being removed.
      @Mrs Hillard are the G sanguineum varieties you mentioned evergreen? They look great!

• Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +950
      @Golarne .. thanks, more or less yes.. in my area I would say semi evergreen.. some autumn colouring and always some leaves on during the winter.

Such useful plants.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Poppypuss

Poppypuss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        Wow thanks for your responses everyone, really useful and lots to think about. @Tinkerton our posts must have crossed, you've helped me reassess the Splish splash as I'm not sure I want to stake the taller ones, especially in a shadey border. @fairygirl I'll take a look at Kashmiri white, but another vote for the alba, sounds good. I'm planning 2 to 3 different geranium types with some epimedium around the tree, couple of ferns and brunnera, possibly London pride as its does well here and I've lots of it, also lots of daffs and snowdrops. @Topbird I love free plants too! Hoping my little G Rozannes bulk up this year so I can start propagating.

• Poppypuss

Poppypuss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        Cheers @Golarne This was my first Q on the Forum and after the first response I wondered whether I'd posted on the right place!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
          Ratings:
          +3,460
          I was very puzzled by the second post! Just goes to show sometimes people can read a question but interpret it differently. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • KayJ

KayJ Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +289
            I have g.phaeum Raven (dark burgundy) in a semi-shaded area and it's very happy, but it doesn't re-flower....cutting back after flowering gets you nice fresh leaves though! Likewise, g.renardii is very pretty and has unusual leaves, but short-flowering. G. nodosum is great in dry shade, flowers all summer till late autumn. I have Silverwood and Whiteleaf as well as the generic one. Spreads slowly but can be controlled. G.wallichianum Buxton's Variety is also a good low spreader, nice blue.

• Like Like x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,483
              Last summer I gave away a ton of Hardy Geraniums, free. Like minded gardeners came over and got lots for their needed areas.

• Friendly Friendly x 1