Have you felt an earth tremor?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by compost maker, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    juliasaurus, i cant understand how your brother in durham didnt feel anything as i am in whitley bay and i felt and seen strange movements like a mirage effect across the bottom of the bed and the brass knobs on the bed were shaking, that takes some doing on my bed as i tried shaking the bed this morning and it was some force to make what i witnessed.
    have heard there could be after-shocks nothing here at the moment.

2. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    :D :D its a long time

3. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kandy - I'm sure it was pretty scary! I'm just fascinated because it's one of those things you can't appreciate in a lab (and most of geology you can see in action).

Linda - my brother can sleep through ANYTHING. I have yet to ascertain whether my future sister-in-law woke up, but Ben just sleeps where he stops and doesn't wake up until he's good and ready to!

Just heard from my mum that my cousin in Lincoln was very frightened by it - she wasn't very far away at all. But she's okay, and I'm sure as a local newspaper reporter she'd got a busy day ahead of her!

4. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I am in solihull and the earth moved for me!! sadly I was by myself so I knew it was nothing like that!!

5. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I live in lincoln 5 miles away from the epicentre gulp

6. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Moonshine and Hel Pleased to see other gardening crackpots are online at 1am. Walnut was up at 4.55am. Does no one sleep around here. Hel had only a few hours sleep before she was up again.

7. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    We felt it up here also :eek:

Both Mrs Pip and myself woken by it and caught about 7 of the 10 seconds it went on for, my initial reaction of "what the **** is that" will give the people that missed it an idea of the size of the tremor.

Glad I didn`t miss it as 25 years is a long time to wait for another one of that size.

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It`s been a long time since the earth moved for me. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

9. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
  10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I can honestly say 'I'm quite mad' [​IMG]

Sadly I'm one of the none sleepers although truth be told as soon as we realised just what had happened I went on the Sheffield forum (while hubbie was busy watching skynews) and within seconds there was 14 pages just on the earthquake thread....I then checked out this forum and guess who I found was on? [​IMG]

I can't wait for early, light mornings as I'll be in the garden with a cuppa (of course)hearing the morning chorus....what better way to start a day!Hel.xxx.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Jean, Walnuts usually awake at 3:30am I stargaze and visit other forums before coming on here only manage 3 to 4 hrs sleep a night it enables me to do more.

12. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Goodnight this time and sleep well the pair of you. Jean

13. Linnie

Linnie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup...woke me up with the bed and the room shaking...here in deepest Northamptonshire....

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Linnie I know it's not the proper place for it but I saw you were new to the forum and just wanted to say

[​IMG] Hel.xxx.