1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaiian Palm

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Greybelle, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    Sadly, my last Hawaiian palm has died. It was fine one day and the next day the leaves were yellow and then on the following day it just fell out of the pot dead!!! I'm sure Pete is right about the "prone to rot" assessment. The garden company have offered to send me two more but I'm not sure I could face the possibility of them wasting away and dying like the others.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
      +583
      Hello Geybelle,
      I am afraid I have had the same problems with my 2 Hawaiian palms which I bought in June.
      One died 6 weeks after the delivery. The second palm has just started rotting from one side. I am very much upset and I have no idea how to save it.

• Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
      +33
      Oh, I'm so sorry, Black Orchid. The plants really have character so its heart breaking to watch them die. It seems to be a pattern all over the internet. My first one was fine for 3 weeks but the second one started dropping leaves the day after I received it. I'm not sure if you can save it. You could ask the people you purchased it from if they have any ideas. Alternatively, the plants should be treated like succulents, apparently, so someone with a knowledge of succulents on this forum or on the internet might have an idea how to help stop the rot. Let me know what happens, Good luck

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,325
      Hi @Greybelle as @pete said, they look exactly like the plumeria plants I managed to kill, in the way that the stems look to have gone to mush. I suspect that when they are dormant you probably need to be incredibly brave and not water AT ALL. And even keep watering minimal when the leaves are starting. Perhaps for something summer dormant and winter growing, our winters are probably too humid and lacking light. Is it in a greenhouse or indoors?

• Like Like x 2
      • Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second which was much larger whose leaves went yellow and started dropping of within the first week. Wasn't worried as new leaves grew back twice but then the large one died and the the smaller one. They were supposed to regrow leaves from August but, instead, they just died. They arrived looking far from dormant and just grew, shed and died. I kept them indoors with plenty of light as they were 'marketed' as suitable house plants. They arrived and died within about 6-8 weeks. No winters involved. I don't think I'm brave enough to have another go.