HD Pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by capney, Aug 3, 2008.

1. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Robert, cheers mate, I did wonder if you would have a go at me...I generally don't criticize other folks shots....but if they ask then I will.:thumb:

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Then you wont mind if I criticize one of yours sometime..
    Fact is I might really like one of my pictures but then the understanding comes as to why someone else may like it, and say so, or they just being polite when they say "Oh you are clever boy to take such a nice picture"
    Peception,, is the word I think I thinking off.
    The reality is todays digitals in anybodies hands can take that "Nice picture" and get compliments from family and friends.
    To go that extra mile, to see things other then how we pecieve them.
    and then to present that image with the WoW factor is the real challenge.

Crikey: I have just read that last paragraph and can hardly believe I wrote it.
    My old English teacher would turn over...
    No.. I am not going rewrite.

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well there are two ways of looking at things I feel. The first being...if you are shooting for yourself, then you have to please yourself and you are probably your worst critic (too hard on yourself) yea. Obviously the 'you' refers to anyone.

If your shooting for a paying customer or client, then you have to please them and thereby hangs a tail yea.

That was the big reason my wedding photography lasted such a short time. Every one wants nice shots of that 'special day,' but they don't want to pose for photographs...did my head in....more trouble than what they are worth weddings.

If your an assistant then great fun, but if you are the guy who has to get everything correct......life's to short!!!!! I prefered to go gray naturally.:eek:

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Rewrite ten times with corrected spelling and grammar and have it on my desk first thing in the morning!

Keep plugging away at the photography Robert. You've got the motivation and interest and judging by your last entry in the photo competition, you got imagination too:thumb: You can also accept critical comment.

Dave

ex- Headteacher (28years), ex - pit sparkie and now ex-tremely happy to be retired and on permanent playtime :D

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Well Tweaky, Joe, Woo, Robert and others - your constructive critical comments would be welcome.

I tried to encourage folk to post constructive critical comments about photos a while back, but no one seemed to do it. I suspect that everyone on GC is far too nice to feel comfortable doing it.

Anyway here's two pics from our July west highland trip. Both are HDRs. The first one is intended to show the contrast between the gathering storm clouds and the sunny peaks looking up Gleann Lichd, and the second one is simply the typical "Heilan' Coo".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Dave I know nothing about HD. I love those images. Not as photos but for pictures. i take it they are not meant to be realistic. What exactly is HD? I just use photoshop for editing etc. This looks like a different world

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Dave, that first one is absolutely fantastic. I think this is the stuff that makes a pic a work of art. The animal ones always look a bit twee to me though.

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    That first one is intended in a way to be 'realistic', in that it captures the mood of the scene better (in my opion anyway) than a single photo could.

Lollipop - I have to agree with you about animal pics, including my 'Coo' being a bit "twee":thumb:

HDR = High Dynamic Range is in theory a way of producing images that show the range of intensity of light and colour that is seen by the human eye as opposed to the range that can be captured by a single photograph. HDR images are usually made by combining three or more photographs of the same scene taken with different exposures. The typical HDR photo is a superimpostion of 'normal', 'under', and 'over exposed ' photos.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
    i'm just a happy snapper who keeps on trying to improve.
    D.

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, here I go then, sticking my neck out:D

First one Dave.....Seeing as you have obeyed the rule of thirds...I don't think the shot actually works for me..oop's. As one viewer has commented it's more like a painting than a photograph. The colours are unreal and the foreground is totally lost so that the overall effect is unbalanced. Apart from that its fine;)

It reminds me of an old painting that needs to be restored and cleaned.:thumb:

As for your Heilan Coo, here is a completely unadulterated one from Glen Tarbot (west coast)

[​IMG]

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    These furry cows are just so cute! We have a few of them in a pasture near the village, irresistible.

Dave I like very much the first picture, even if it looks like a painting, or may be because of it. My only critic would be that the shadow of the clouds on the left mountain is so dark that it cuts the mountain in two, instead of enhancing its texture. Other than that, good for me, but then I like old grimy paintings. ;)

11. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave Angel - Eco Warrioris by far the best.Loads of atmosphere etc.
    My only gripe is that the sky looks......a bit false.

The second shot,
    Sorry,but for me it just looks over done.

Heres one that is deffinatly hdr,but far from overdone.
    [​IMG]

12. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I knew i had a hairy cow somewhere ;)
    [​IMG]

13. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,666
    Hi Everyone Tweaky are you sure there,s not two Blokes inside that Furry
    Suit:D Dave your first Photo is open to many Interpretations Personally I like it ,Probably my perception of it is different from everyone elsie,s:)
    The Second Photo I am not sure about maybe just a trifle to close but If you acheived what you set out to do then you got a result:thumb::)

14. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Roberts twopenith:
    Its the individual "peception" of every one of us as to how we view and process any image we are asked to comment about.
    Interesting to read comments on the latest forum pictures.
    Im really glad I started this thread.
    The moo is a no go for me, just does not get my juices running at all. (Sorry Dave)
    Daves view does it for and I found myself studying it and trying to fathom the setting he used to reach the end product.
    The fench line draws me into the picture. (I like that.)
    I would maybe like to see the black clouds a little lighter.
    I would be more then happy if when I can produce an image like that Dave.
    I must head for moors some time with an empty sd card.
    Oh yes... I shall have a rewrite on your desk... some time..soon..honest.
    Like yourself I am retired now for two months and looking for projects
    Robert

15. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Another HDR picture from Robert
    .................SUNRISE..................
    [​IMG]