Heated Propagator - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Butterfly6, Jun 6, 2024.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I can't see how a propagator would work for you then. I can get most seeds to germinate indoors without. Airing cupboards are good, or next to a boiler. I have a few pots under a table right now.

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I've never seen the point of one. If stuff germinates more quickly, it would just have to sit for even longer before it could go outside, which means a greater chance of problems. I use windowsills, or wait until it's warm enough to do them outside in the gr'house or a cold frame etc. Always depends on the type of plant too.
    I thought that was a useful item on G'sWorld [for a change!] and it's the kind of thing that should have been shown a long time ago because I think people often believe a propagator is always the answer to getting plants further on in growth earlier in the year. It always comes down to what happens next, ie pricking out/potting on, and having enough room for those bigger pots, and then the outdoor conditions.
    Lots of small bits of useful advice like that should be getting shown more often on that programme IMO, but that's a different topic.

In your circumstances, it might be of use though @Butterfly6 , if it's simply a case of not having suitable indoor sites with enough warmth/light, but the outdoor conditions you have will mean you can probably harden them off in the same way as someone with more appropriate sills/light etc. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I definitely think for certain seeds a form of bottom heat helps first one that comes to mind is cucumber and its relatives, pepper is another one, they can rot before germinating if they are sown below optimum temperature.

It depends on what you grow.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,994
        For me, a heated propagator is essential, I grow some seeds that will not germinate at a temperature of less than 20C. I also use grow lights to ensure the seedlings grow strongly.
        Once germinated I do need to ensure there is somewhere warm and light enough for them to continue growing strongly until I can move them out of the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
          Ratings:
          +575
          Thanks everyone. I think I will have a look at what’s available and cost. I don’t want to start everything off a bit earlier but would like to have more success with peppers etc so if I can find a small one with good reviews it can go on my C*** list.

I obviously failed to assess our house for indoor gardening requirements when we were house hunting as we haven’t even got an airing cupboard @JWK :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +48,979
            We lost our airing cupboard when the boiler was changed a couple of years ago, instead I put a small tubular heater in the empty cupboard so it can still be used for airing, Mrs JWK couldn't function without one. But I have never used it for seeds as I would forget to check on them. Instead they go next to the boiler which is next to a side door I use to access the garden, walking past them means I keep an eye on them.

With limited space you can get chilli, pepper and tomato to germinate on damp tissue in a plastic bag in the dark at 22c. But once they germinate they need light and space. Reckon we all have the same problem with lack of space early in the season, the Gardener's Dilemma.

• Like Like x 2
            • amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +897
              I really don't see the point for any of the old fashioned timers so many good quality smart versions available that gives you absolute control when your device is on. My current favourites are by Tapo and can be had as multipacks on offer quite frequently. Great for turning on water features and heat mats. Tapo also make ones that monitor output so you can see how much they cost to run, if it's of interest. Makes table and floor lamps smart too...which helps add to my existing Hue smart bulbs set up with very little cost.

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
              Ratings:
              +575
              I’ve never though about trying the peppers etc with damp tissue/plastic bag :ideaIPB:

Have made a reminder in my gardening notebook to try this low tech method first. Am sure I can find a warm, dark space big enough for that.

Thanks everyone for all you replies

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +48,979
                I'm sure others will have better descriptions and some photos of the plastbag method. They only need a drop of water on a piece of kitchen roll, then transferring to a pot quickly at a suitable size. I struggle bit with banana fingers and have accidentally squashed a few, trial and error needed.

• Like Like x 1