Heating

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Hornbeam, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    This was even cheaper Gogs!...Donated by the head of the In-laws coven :D

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Nice one Pal..... The best form of heater is... A free one...!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Get your bubble wrap & you will be away mate..!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    :( Reckon I'll have to take Mrs Pals purse to Focus for that Marley....... :D

5. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I was lucky today, I lined the greenhouse with bubble wrap (got a roll from Staples). Tried the paraffin heater but the smell was awful, so I got the fan heater out, then found I hadn't got a lead long enough (needs 25metres). I then remembered that ALDI's had some 50m Reels of heavy extension cable at �£15.99 so dashed off to get one, I got the last one.

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    ;) Well Pal,,, If you's a very good boy,,,,,,,!!! ;) Mrs Pal might treat you ..!!!! ;) ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    I got the bubble wrap yesterday Marley. My brother is closing his Garden Machinery Centre at Batsford and I had one or two bargains..30 metres of Wrap and six dozen fixing clips,the compost turner,a water butt drainpipe diverter,Knee pads,A 4' wide 'Jempshade' greenhouse roller shade,a couple of spark plugs and soft leather gloves for Mrs Pal....all for the princely sum of �£24 ;)

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :eek: :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] What a bargain..!!! That was fantastic luck..!! I reckon that is a good omen for your greenhouse. It will have good Karma from all the gifts & bargains!!! [​IMG] You will be growing Supa Dupa plants...!! ;) :D Good luck with it all..! :D

9. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Boy you do get the bargains Nick!!!! good for you

10. Mike T

Mike T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone use LPG (propane) I ask because I am erecting a lean-to greenhouse and with it I have purchased a propane heater. comments anyone please.

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi Mike,
    Welcome.. [​IMG]
    I have never tried it, but funnily enough have just been looking at some on this site
    http://www.garden4less.co.uk/greenhouse-heaters.asp?partner=gg
    They look very compact & of course wouldn't smell like Parraffin, but wouldn't be such a dry heat as electric either.. I use parraffin at the moment. I am not sure how efficient LPG is or how cost effective it is. I know it is used commercially allot, but you have to insulate very well & have very good ventilation..!!! I hate the smell but I find parraffin very efficient & economical my self.. My plants all seem to thrive very happily in there too...!!!
    Oh, have just found this site as well...
    http://www.garden4less.co.uk/greenhouse-heaters.asp?partner=gg
    What do you think..?? [​IMG]

12. Mike T

Mike T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MF
    The one I have is the Bio Green 1.9 propane heater I hope, weather permitting, to have the green house up and the heater on by the end of the Month. A friend of mine who is a builder was to lay a brick base today, but, guess what! its started to rain; just for a change!!.
    I used parafin years ago, it was easy to get then, now calor deliver to your door and with two cylinders and a change over valve I should have a continous supply.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi Mike,
    I am becoming more & more interested in gas as I read various articles about it... Your mention of them delivering is very interesting too..! The Bio green range seems excellent... I shall carry on this winter with the Parraffin. I don't have a problem getting hold of it, a local garage sells it in sealed 1gl cotainers, so it is very easy & manageable.... BUT IT STINKS & YOU STINK OF IT WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN IN THERE!!!!!! Yuk..!!! :mad:
    Yes, the more I think about it, I think I shall give it a whirl next winter...!! Might even be able to pick up a 2nd hand heater during the summer..!! [​IMG]
    :D Thanks very much for drawing my attention to it..!! :D

14. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fed up with the vagaries of the frost guard setting on fan heaters as they get old, >2years, I finally got it together and designed and built an electronic thermostat. The MK1 is working well and is keeping the little greenhouse between 3.3C and 4.8C, even when it has been -4.5C outside. The consumption has not been as high as last year, due to extra bubble wrap over the roof.
    The MK2 will incorporate the timer for the extractor fan and an overtemperature switch for the fan as well. But that will have to wait.
    Being something of a nomad, the greenhouse has to look after itself for at least a fortnight at a time. Fortunately watering is not a problem in the winter.
    Nik :cool:

15. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Well done Nik. I installed some heating for the first time this year in my summerhouse, where I am overwintering some half-hardy plants. I started off with a plug in thermostat which overrides the one on the fan heater. I assume the one in the heater is a bimetallic strip, which is not very good at the best of times. I also got a power consumption meter.

On several ocasions it has been down to -7C and -8C outside. So I am pleased that my set up has only used 9KWH so for to keep the inside fractionally above freezing. It is a wooden summerhouse, 10' by 8', with bubble wrap so it will use less heat than a greenhouse of the same size.

As I see it, the great thing about electrical heating is the control that you can have. Whilst electricity must be a lot more expensive than paraffin for the same amount of heat, with a good thermostat you use absolutely no more than you need. And as you say Nik you can go away and leave it.

Just one word of caution. You have to be careful where you measure the temperature. I have two thermometers outside in differant positions, both away from the house. They can record up to 5C differance in the minimum temperature - and I am happy that this is genuine. The same problem applies inside. The lower the position of the thermometer, the lower the temperature it might record.