Hedgehog encouragement

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by chinquest, Sep 23, 2009.

1. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Jaz were you able to find your local hedgehog centre? Would be interesting to see if they would release them to a family garden - you just know yours would be kept safe :)

Clueless - sounds like a wonderful thing that they are doing in their home - must be quite the house!

2. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    There is a wonderful centre called A.F.A Hedgehog rescue in North Norfolk which has a wonderful website if anyone wants to take a look. I will ring them when I return from the doctors as I can also offer them donations of old towels which they use to wrap the little hedgies in and wool left over from my knitting attempts as they have supporters who knit things which are then sold on the stalls :) I could even get knitting for them.

I would love to get more info from them as it seems silly to have a "des res" here unused :)

Will report back later after the dreaded GP visit.

Thanks Clueless for getting me going!!

3. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    I just heard back from one rescue centre that they can let me have a hedgehog next spring so I expect that will be the case with the other centre I contacted. Shame as I was hoping to have the box in use this year, I probably left it too late to enquire?

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596

I reckon the hedgies body clocks will be telling them to settle down for winter about now. Perhaps they will be more at ease in familiar surroundings. Besides, you never know, there might be a local hedgehog searching the neighbourhood for a winter hideout right now, that just hasn't chanced upon your arrangements just yet.

5. chinquest

chinquest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The food is going on a daily basis now and the water, though I haven't seen him I am finding mini carnivore poos that I can only think belong to a hedgie. The slug population has decreased notably (not sure if thats a seasonal thing but hedgie is getting the credit!)

I went and I treated myself to a security camera so I hope to catch a sighting before he settles down for the winter.

Jazmine I hope a hedgie finds your box but if not it's another good reason to look forward to spring.