1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedgehogs

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Linz, Oct 10, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    You never know. And they do wake during hibernation so its possible someone may find it then. Once its set up if you stuff handful of hay into entrance you will know then if anyone goes in. Putting out some food nearby might help too. Good luck:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      Not sure an allotment would be an ideal place for hogs BeeHappy because of the use of slug pellets. And possibly other chemicals.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Glad the little ones are improving :) . Hogs are indeed very stinky :eeew:. Are you sending the samples to Vale Wildlife? And were you told about sending several samples for testing spaced several days apart ? I used to use Vale but have a microscope to do my own testing now.

And well done to you for helping the little beans :dbgrtmb:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          The avatar pic is of Clarence, the baby hedgehog who got caught in a grass strimmer. My two new babes are very very cute and look just like mini versions of their mum. They have her temperament too. I'll get some pics later.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Oh I didn't think about slug pellets...

No wasn't told about samples a few days apart.

.. what have I got myself into .I've only gone and picked another one up that was out in the same spot as before on the way home just now.. this one has a visible tick.. Will assess and update. Between kids, cats, chickens and now hedgehogs.. I dunno where I am. TEA FIRST.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              :lunapic 130165696578242 5: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:. There may be another one or two to come so best to keep checking.

I just PM'd you, need to charge tablet so will send another later.

• Like Like x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,956
                What's the best way to unroll a hedgehog please as we now have a young one (size of a tennis ball) being fed by us, but the hedgehog has some tick's, we've got 5 ticks off this afternoon (using tick tool) but there's some just on the side of his/her face but doesn't what to open up and i don't want to force him/she

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  Hi Jiffy :)

There are a coupLe of methods you can try, success is varied. ......

To get a hedgehog to uncurl every time, pick him up from underneath, in a gentle scooping up fashion.
                  Hold him over your 2 hands, the front of him on your left hand and the bottom half on your right hand.
                  Keep still and quiet and he will begin to open up a bit. As he does this just move your left hand a bit higher than your right, with his front feet on your left hand and his back feet on your right hand. Be gentle, don't go to touch his face or his head or he'll curl straight up again.

This information I got on a hedgehog site. I haven't tried it so don't know how effective it is. I imagine with a very prickly hog you might be waiting a long time :whistle:. Worth trying though.

I rock them back and forth gently, with the head pointed away from me. Once they begin to unroll I place them on a level, non slip surface, grasp the back legs and pull them gently into a handstand position. Need to keep both front feet planted on surface or the hog will roll up. It does take practice and is a two person job :snorky:.

Another method is to place hog on level, non slip surface and stroke it down the centre of its back - or as much of the back as you see - with a toothbrush. Once unrolled olace hand firmly against its back to prevent it rolling up again. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. You can use your hand to do this if no toothbrush, taking care not to get prickled, of course. I remember doing the hand stroking method on one of the wild hogs a few years back. She found it so relaxing she uncurled and promptly fell asleep on my lap:lunapic 130165696578242 5:.

Another way that sometimes works is to place the hog on a heatpad and wait for it to get hot. It will uncurl to move and you can either grab the back legs or place your hand firmly on its back to prevent it rolling up again. How large are the tics? On the face and around/in ears are always difficult to remove as very sensitive, vunerable area for the hog.

Are you over wintering this hedgehog Jiffy, ie its not loose in your garden?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,956
                    Thank you for the info Luciusmaximus

It was loose in the garden two days ago as it was out in the day time so now it's got free range use of the garage with box and lots of newspaper to sleep, as it is so small we will now keep the hog in, but it has ticks so we have been removing them, some ticks were about the size of a small pea may be a bit smaller, they are now gone, but there is just a few left which i'd like to remove if i can but he/she like to role up

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                      Ratings:
                      +6,899
                      @Jiffy if the hog is tennis ball size it must weigh around 200 - 300g. Ideally hoglet should be in a warm room with a heatpad. They lose body heat very quickly at that age and also cool temperatures can trigger the hog to try and hibernate. Fleece blankets are warmer ( and snugglier ) than paper :). A garage is fine when hoglet is up to hibernation weight.

You can use Ivermectin on small ticks, the kind that treats mites in small pets. Drop on each tic will cause it to feel unwell and fall off. You will need to check the bedding and box thorougly so it doesn't get back on the hog. This is only suitable for very small tics and not recommended for larger ones as they can regurgitate stomach contents back into the hog as they fall off causing infection.

You could try holding the hog on it back but in an upright position, probably need a towel as well. A 1ml syringe with the end dipped in honey and gently rubbed against the hogs gums/teeth should make the hog grab the syringe to get the honey. Whilst its licking the honey you may be able to whip the ticks off.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Useful Useful x 1
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Not sure if you know about these, I was dubious about them being any good but they are excellent for removing both Deer and Sheep Ticks that our Cats get despite being dosed to prevent the bu..ers. I would have thought they'd work on Hedgies too?
                        upload_2017-10-18_10-33-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
                        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                          Ratings:
                          +6,224
                          Hedgehogs seem fine (or so I think), have sent poo samples off.. should hear back tonight. Have changed hedgehogs names to 1, 2 and 3...in hope that I don't get too attached..............:hmmmm: ...:heart1:

20171017_185658.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Well done Linz, glad you are getting such good advice from Lucius. It wasn't until I sort of got involved with Hedgehogs that I was told that if you see then during the day the chances are they are in some sort of trouble and need help. I know with baby birds you find it's usually best to leave alone but not the case with Hedgehogs I was informed, your "gang" have fallen on their feet finding you. I do so hope all your hard work is rewarded and they all make it to next Spring time. Are you kidding yourself you won't get attached:)? If you manage that feat your are a stronger person than me! I was frantic for days this Spring after I inadvertently disturbed a Robin's nest which was bulging with babies in it. I was pacing around for days trying to make sure their parents had not abandoned their brood and :phew: all was fine. That was bad enough far less having 3 baby hedgehogs in residence.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                              Ratings:
                              +6,224
                              I've have had fab advice, I really can't thank Lucius enough. I knew as soon as I seen them they were too small to be out and especially in the day. I am trying to kid myself lol.. they are so sweet! I've loved hedgehogs since I was little so to have 3 stay with me is something of a childhood dream! I put a pic up somewhere on here a few months ago of me when I was little with one.. I'll try and find it :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                                Ratings:
                                +6,224
                                Be careful what you wish for!! :heehee:
                                hedgehog.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1