Hellebore Seedlings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bilbo675, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Shiney, yes that is a tomato plant looking over them :snork:

I grew these from seed just cause I love growing things from seed...:biggrin: and they were from my mums garden as I didn't have any here at the time; this garden is still under developement :)

They self seed prolifically in my mum's garden, she has a 'forest' of them :rolleyespink:

2. midlakefan

midlakefan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    so glad I spotted this thread, I have a Hellebore in the front garden that comes up gloriously ever spring and lasts for months. Last spring when weeding I noticed that it had dropped lots of seeds that had taken in the gravel surrounding the plant. I potted these up and they sat in the pots last year not doing anything. They had their second leaves but didn't do anything else. I planted one out this spring and it's only just looking like it's growing any other leaves. Are they normally this slow?

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi midlake fan, as a general rule they don't like too much root disturbance so it can take them a while to settle and get growing after they've been moved/planted out. I wouldn't expect a seedling to flower for at least 3 years; yours sounds like its doing ok, if its starting to grow more leaves then it's doing fine...good luck :blue thumb:

4. midlakefan

midlakefan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    oh okay then in that case they're doing okay. I had to pull them from the gravel which has weed resistant fabric underneath so I guess that would have been more of a disturbance than if i'd have pulled it out of soil. Thanks Bilbo675

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Nice thread Bilbo - I've set a few seed so this is encouraging!