1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hcad, Feb 5, 2017.

1. hcad

hcad Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

Not sure if I've posted this in the right place. I've just joined and want to introduce myself. I am a very new gardener having only planted a few pots previously. My parents are OK at gardening and can help me. My partner just doesn't have time for it as he's self employed.

I've recently had my garden done. When I say "done", I had a patio laid for my little boy to ride his bikes etc, a new fence put all the way around and we are planning on having a lawn laid soon. We had to have it done as the fence was falling down, we had a MASSIVE nut tree that was over growing, soooo many brambles and trailing ivy and it just wasn't safe for our 1 year old to grow up/play in.

But....we miss our greenery. What we have now is a very stark, bare canvas that I'd like you guys to guide me and advise me on. Our garden is south facing with clayey soil. I'll post photos of before and after. Most of you will probably think before was better

The idea is to plant some climbing bushes (?) and get pots and hanging baskets???

Will be great to hear your ideas ☺ 20150425_091244.jpg 20170205_141930.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi hcad, welcome to Gardeners Corner.:thumbsup::snorky: Trying to create a garden to suit all family needs is always a challenge, but I'm sure the rest of the GC Gang will be along to give you some friendly advice and encouragement.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Welcome to GC hcad. It would be helpful if you could put your area in your avatar box please as plants may thrive in one place but not in others. :)

Climbers would be a good start to add some greenery to your fencing. There are also some great ideas amongst GC's threads for 'vertical' gardening, so take a look around and see what may work for you. :)

• Like Like x 2
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,169
          Welcome to the forum hcad.

It's a great start in your new garden, I think you've done the right thing, making it safe for you little one is the first priority.

Those fences certainly need softening up with climbers, I'd start by looking at Clematis and Jasmines - they are easy to grow and pretty fast. There is a vast choice, some Jasmines are scented and some flower at different times of the year, same with clematis so the trick would be to select some that provide year round interest. Also some are evergreen and some deciduous so more decisions.

They all would need some help, trellis or netting. You could also grow Sweet Peas which are an Annual (i.e. will die off in the autumn) but give a very fast cover with lovely scented blooms.

Maybe you want to attract wildlife such as birds and insects into the garden? If so consider Honeysuckle, Star Jasmine and Passion Flower.

You want to leave at least 2 ft for a border to grow these, so don't lay the lawn right up to the fence.

On the patio obviously that will have to be pots and containers, you could have a go at a few veggies - grow stuff you like to eat - some are easy like lettuce - others such as tomatoes are rewarding but require a bit more TLC.

If you want hanging baskets I assume they would be on the house wall either side of the patio doors? There is a massive choice of colourful flowers some trailing some erect, such as Petunias, Fuschia and Geraniums. Baskets are fun and simple to make up and will do well on your south facing wall. They will need watering at least once a day in the height of summer though.

• Like Like x 3