Help Chitting Kaz find a Car Please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by chitting kaz, Sep 20, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    At face value it seems ok. Long MOT on it but that means absolutely nothing seeing as its a trade seller (they just get their mates at the local garage to pass it).

Renault is not a bad make. They have ties with Volvo these days, though I'm not sure how closely connected they are.

In any case, 127k miles isn't overly excessive. It wouldn't put me off as long as its been looked after. For that price I'd expect to see some sort of service history just as some level of assurance that its been looked after.

Its pre-2001 so shouldn't have much trouble with random electronic problems making the engine go silly (I don't like post 2001 cars, I think that was the year that the EU emissions rules changed meaning that cars rolled off the production line with HAL's crazy nephew running them).

Being only 1.4 though it is going to be a tad boring to drive. I reckon you're looking at 90bhp, and a gearbox that has the engine howling at motorway speed, but for general knocking about it would be fine I reckon.

• Like Like x 3
    • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      Doesn't look bad Kaz - I'm not a fan of French cars, but have family members that have owned nothing but for many years now without a problem. If I remember correctly, the Kangoo is a distant relation of the Renault 5, so most of its underpinnings are tried and tested.

The 1.4 engine is a wee bit asthmatic, but perfectly capable on all types of road - it will just take a wee bit longer to get up to speed than some others. The only thing that springs to mind with them is that the back plates on the rear hubs can corrode leading to an MOT fail - however, they are reasonably cheap to replace, and well within the capabilities of any home mechanic to do.

As with any car, drive before you buy and make sure that everything works.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        Kaz do you not already drive a Skoda ?
        Then you know how good they are
        If you need a bigger car then FC Octavia Estate, or the YETI
        Good priced used ones on the skoda site or dealerships

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Better on paper, but its citroen. Expect it to be expensive to fix when it goes wrong, which may well be quite often compared to other makes. Peugeot is the same (literally, same ownership, same factories). Renault is different altogether.

The citroen will be more fun to drive while its working, as they tend to be good at squeezing respectable performance out of their engines. Gear box is likely to be clunky and horrid though. Again, pre-2001 so likely to be immune to the notorious engine management problems.

I wouldn't buy that one just because its citroen, and I have negative experience of citroen myself, and have known several people with negative experience of a range of peugeot/citroen motors. I know a few people in the motor trade who colloquially know citroen by another name.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          Sorry clueless, I didn't spot this post until now - no idea why.

The symptoms you describe are common to nearly all turbo diesels when the turbo fails, and not just the Galaxy - in short, the bearing in a turbo charger runs on a 'cushion' of oil - there is a seal to keep the oil on the side of the bearing and away from the side that the air is being shoved through into the inlet manifold; if the seal fails, oil is then shoved into the inlet manifold at quite a rate (when compared with fuel) and the engine simply runs away with itself, and continues to do so until the oil in the engine runs out - sadly, cutting the fuel rarely has any effect on the situation as the engine is not actually running on oil, but rather the ingested oil.

On the day that I bought my current car, I saw a BMW X5 on the opposite carriageway of the motorway whilst on my way home with exactly this problem - felt sorry for the owner, as it nearly always ends in certain death for the engine.

• clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,596
          That's what I thought, and what my dad thought. I have no doubt you're right, but cutting the fuel pipe cut the engine in this case. I can only guess (this is way over my head) that in this case the engine was still drawing most of its energy from the actual fuel.

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,616
          i love the skoda and will be keeping this but terry is giving up his bike and we are getting a second car, i want to get a van like vehicle as i tend to collect things as i go lol and i have to bring things down to mam's so basically i want a work horse type car cheap and cheerful, so that the skoda doesnt get trashed a car is cheaper to insure than a van so this is the route i am looking at

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            Its possible - in many cases the tandem pump is driven purely by the motion of the engine, so the more the engine spins, the more fuel it sucks through; the lift pump, which lives in the fuel tank, should be electrically driven and (in theory) should shut off as soon as the driver removes the key, which should cut the fuel supply - I believe that sometimes the draw pressure from the tandem pump is so great that it simply drags the fuel through. Thankfully, this is a less common turn of events.

Golden rule with any TDI - if you hear the turbo get noisy, pull over and stop the engine immediately.

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,596
              That clears things up then. There's only one logical choice then:

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/search...1/sort/default/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new

Some will laugh, but you can't beat them. Actually very pleasant to drive, good all round performers. A tad heavy on the juice, I got 37mpg from mine on a good run, more like 25mpg round town. Doesn't even notice a few hundred kilos of junk in the back, doubles as a very comfortable family car with ample boot space when the back seats are up, or almost a van with the back seats down. They rarely go wrong but when they do you can fix it yourself, or if you have to put it in the garage, the labour costs are low (because everything is so easy to get to on them).

• clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,596
              When I got my first turbo diesel car my dad gave me similar advice. His version was this: If the engine sounds wrong, stop, get everyone out of the car, and run:)

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                Kaz - Curve-ball choice? - I know its not a van as such, but has similar interior dimensions to some of the others you have looked at (possibly bigger).

Honda's are generally supremely reliable, engines that you cannot kill with a big stick, and although not the most exciting things on earth, they are reasonably perky to drive. An acquaintance of mine has had three of these in his family, and has just chopped his oldest one in for an '09 plate version - - - the one he chopped in had 210k on the clock, on its original clutch etc and had never put a foot wrong in the ten or so years he had it.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                What car is it Clueless, your link no worky?

• clueless1

Ratings:
                +19,596
                Volvo 940 estate.

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +48,986
                  • Like Like x 1