HELP fixing lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Keith Thomas, May 5, 2018.

1. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Keith, you are on the right track with the sand. Sharp sand will do very nicely, or any kind of fine grit. This needs to be added to your clay soil and dug over, to open the soil up a bit.

Take your time - half an acre may seem like a big patch to deal with, but you will be able to sort it all out in smaller stages. You seem quite impatient at the moment which is very very understandable - one of my own traits :shy: in fact....
    There will be loads of good suggestions offered soon I am sure, from a whole load of competent and experienced old codgers on here :sofa:
    In the meantime, maybe you could post a few photos, so we can all have a look to see just what you are dealing with.

Have faith !! it will get sorted :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
      +37
      Thanks @Gail_68 and @Tetters

I will post some photos tomorrow. I tend to be impatient also :hapydancsmil:

I have been told that when my house was built the builder removed a lot of soil and put in hardcore. Based on that I think I might have been better last year not to have put in drains and instead improved the soil. But hindsight is a great thing.

That’s why I’m thinking now to start to improve the soil condition for planting autumn. Thinking based on that, that a rotovator may be more of a long term item rather than a week usage.

Planning to use building sand which is sharp sand and then I’ve heard that local councils sell compost at a reasonable price. Thinking that could also help my situation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
        +37
        That said thinking a blue circle garden could be good :rasp:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Tetters get ready for the [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Keith photo's do help members as it give them a broader aspect of what help you do actually need and you'll be given a good range of advice...so get your mind ready to take it all in :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
            • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              :nonofinger: You naughty naughty boy!! Blue circle is not allowed - this is all about gardening[​IMG]Builder`s sand and sharp sand are different. Sharp sand is quite gritty, and a lighter colour, while builders sand (used for knocking up muck for brick laying) is the orange stuff, and of no use whatsoever.
              You won`t grow much on hardcore. Old Percy Thrower used to say ''the answer lies in the soil''

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                Don`t worry Gail....I`m not scared of them [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
                  +37
                  Ah good to know about the difference in sands. I’d got some sand last year from a quarry beside me. I assumed it was builders sand but it’s yellow and got grit in it so I’m guessing it is sharp sand then. I’ll post the pic of it tomorrow.

Think the builder put hardcore into help drainage but then put clay soil on top of it so from what little knowledge I have I assume the water can’t get through the clay soil.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                  Ratings:
                  +5,404
                  Generally speaking -builders know squiggly pip about gardening - the ones who tried building my house knew much the same about building too. Had to report them to trading standards when I gave them the elbow.

I look after about 4 acres here, and in the lower part of it where the ground is usually quite wet I have grown lots of trees and shrubs including Willow and Lilac, and they take up the extra water quite happily.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
                    +37
                    Yeah I agree about most builders. The one which built my house seemed good at building but plumbing etc was an issue. He had planted shrubs etc before the house was sold but it was done cheap and quick can’t blame him but it means I’ve more weeds than enough due to poor prep work. Similarly with my driveway etc. Will take time to sort it all out.

My ground is that wet my fence posts rotted under the ground. This wasn’t helped cause the field beside and behind my house is farmed and the farmer climbs over the fence weakening my fence as they are joined :uh-oh:

My hedge I planted I selected species which like wet ground so it’s roses, hawthorn, willow, hornbeam and dogwood. The problem is the farmers land has 2 shuck (that’s what we call them - it’s a gully for water to drain into) and he never cleans them so they don’t work and so his land floods and then floods mine. That and he has weeds right up to my fence and won’t do anything about them. :nonofinger:

That must keep you busy looking after 4 acres. I’m sure it looks amazing.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                    Ratings:
                    +5,404
                    Need to sleep ....but will say this. Just like a good chippie will say ''measure twice, and cut once'' I would add ''several coats of thinking about before costly action''
                    I have worked in the building trade and horticultural trade as well, so try to marry the two experiences together as much as possible.....oh, and I`m 374 years old :nerd: g`night

• Like Like x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
                      +37
                      Thanks @Tetters for the good advice. I definitely will ensure I’ve a good plan of attack this time. My wife is a little impatient so will need to convince her.

I think the first step is going to be a mass killing of my lawn and weeds etc.

I was the same about needing to sleep. :snooze:

• Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
                      +37
                      This is the rotavator I was looking at in Homebase Qualcast Petrol Rotivator - 149.3cc
                      Not sure if better to buy this for longer term slower working of the ground or to hire a larger one for a week and try to prepare the ground in a week?

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404
                      Calling male people on this forum :paladin:

Afraid I wouldn`t ever consider one of those rotavators. Tried one once - never again. It was easier with a spade and fork and a little elbow grease. They are really good though for increasing those lovely weeds that travel on rhizomes - chop `em up, and spread `em around .....:uh-oh:
                      With a bit of luck you`ll get some replies from the others on the subject ..

Why does it all have to be done in 5 minutes anyway?

• Like Like x 1
                      • Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Gardener

Ratings:
                        +37
                        That’s what I was worried about with that rotavator that it wouldn’t be worth the money. I’ve seen a bigger one reduced from £600 to £400 online. If I need to use one for more than a week which I’m thinking I will then hiring will cost me £280 for 2 weeks. Might be the better option to buy a unit.

Happy for this take awhile to fix. Just not too sure where to start to be honest. Due to having the garden dug up for drainage last year the guy doing it left the garden covered in stones and very rough so it’s not even possible to cut it at the moment.

Here are some photos I’ll try to upload some more.

717637FE-8BDC-401F-B0B5-404E450A82C4.jpeg

831A0E12-6D79-41DF-8304-470F2FE86D8E.jpeg