Help my bridge is falling down

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Dec 4, 2015.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    If Scotland had got independence people would have blamed that for all the chaos. :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Sorry @shiney I'm not the best at copy and pasting! It's meant to show that someone has decided to "sell" The Bridge on Ebay! He's already got about 25 bids on it!! I thought The Bridge carried approx. 70,000 vehicles a day. According to those that are responsible for her it's 100,000 so this really has caused chaos and from what I've been told by someone who's involved on the periphery this situation could take a lot longer than just into The New Year.
      God help us if they decide to start running ferries as it was, before The Bridge was built. I am old enough (just:)) to remember the ghastly journey across The Bridge by ferry. Disgustingly smelly, could be quite rough at times and as they only ran once every 1/2 hour many people were killed/badly injured speeding along the connecting roads in an attempt to catch one when it was nearing their embarkation time.
      None of the alternative routes are attractive in the slightest for those of us living in Fife who wish/need to travel to Edinburgh and further South on The East Coast. Not so bad if we wish to go west/go to Glasgow altho that said that route is taking the vast majority of the traffic which would have gone over The Forth Bridge and consequently is chocablock. Most of my relatives live in and around Edinburgh so this situation has meant we've had to put many alternatives in place for the Christmas period and god help those who have to go to Edinburgh on a daily basis.
      If we'd got Independence, no doubt The Bridge would have been sold off for scrap to make up for the shortfall in our oil price, altho that now isn't important according to The SNP and we'd have just made our own arrangements for getting across The Firth of Forth. Our beloved leaders make us out to be invincible and easily capable of walking on water.:rolleyespink:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +614
        Replacing a bridge all comes down to money, or lack of anyone willing to put it up.
        We have a single lane swing bridge on a not so used river which is ok, but it's at a T junction with traffic lights. Every day a mile long queue forms morning and evening, now they have built 1000 house near it. They did a traffic survey paid for by the developer and hey ho, it said the bridge had spare capacity for traffic.
        Now any one but the developers and council can see it needs sorting, but who'll pay council have less money and have road works in every town and village round here. The developers say they have no money, but there pockets will be full when all the houses are built

Me I wouldn't live there as it is a brown field site will 100 years of chemicals in the soil, also there is a water treatment plant along side and any smells will drift across the houses.
        As a back drop there are large lagoons full of lime which are above ground with soil banks 70 foot high.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          It's OK, they're going for a quick, cheap, bodge

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            Ahh you can not lose with Gaffa Tape

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,892
              Oh yes you can! I used it here and the darned Sparrows stripped it, they took the strings running through it for nesting material! :doh::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +614
                I'd say, say hello to a year of upset.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                As I suspected and said so in previous posts, I was very dubious that faults had all of a sudden appeared...... in multiple places? All this trouble with The Forth Bridge could have been avoided IF our beloved SNP had done repair works to The Bridge as recommended in 2010. That wouldn't exactly have been exciting/vote getting news to grab the headlines would it!

• Agree Agree x 2