Help needed - embarrassing garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merryandpippin, Feb 19, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Yep, bit at a time is the best way. Otherwise there's a risk that you'll feel overwhelmed, especially next month when everything wakes up and the whole space has its own ideas about what it wants to do:)

I'd start simple. Some cheap containers with fast growing annual flowers perhaps. Get a spade or a hoe to chop all the grass out from between the paving, and maybe plant up the raised section in the corner. Maybe some light coloured paint on the fence too. I've found that painting the fence makes a much bigger difference than you expect. Do it on the cheap on the first pass. If you have any old white emulsion lying around, that's good. It will soak into the wood and fade, but it means that if you put another coat on later, you'll use less paint as less will soak in.

2. merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I've given the fence a paint since the picture and it did make a difference due another coat though now I think :)

I'm definately opting for the slow and steady method!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
    • sniffy

sniffy Gardener

Ratings:
      +43
      We used to have a small north facing paved yard. We did very little with it but next door turned theirs into a beautiful patio covered in pots full of interesting things. One thing that did really well and the kids loved was a dwarf apple tree in a large pot. They moved things round the garden to catch the sun and had hanging baskets and troughs attatched to the fence in summer full of flowers and herbs. They grew tomatoes in a hanging basket out front too.

We've now got a garden and we're learning what on earth to do with it, but there's a big patch of concrete that used to have a garage on it and the cost of lifting it is putting me off, so it's going to get covered in potted fruit trees!

• Like Like x 4
      • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
        Ratings:
        +1,559
        Hey Merryandpippin, our back garden wasn't too dissimilar to yours and while I've only just started, have already managed to transform the thing! We have a East / North facing garden that gets some sun in the day but is mostly shaded. We did try having a small lawn for a few years but it just didn't grow. It didn't get enough light and to be honest, given the size of it, it wasn't worth the hassle with owning mowing equipment etc. Particularly as by the time you have the trampoline and a table, there is little space for a lawn to thrive. Totally your choice but my recommendation would be to go for nicer new paving, then concentrate on the edges.

We have one small bed, a bit bigger than yours which is our best place to plant, so I've put some shrubs, bulbs and flowers in there. I started with evergreen plants that flower strongly so there is a good colour base (Buddleia, Hebe). And right now I'm growing some easy growing annuals from seed (Snapdragons, Alyssum, Lobellia) ready for summer.

BUT the thing I'm having the most fun with is pots! I managed to get a bunch of pots a lady was throwing away at a dump of all shapes and sizes. They instantly make the patio look more interesting even without plants, and you can move them around as things come in and out of flower. I have a variety of plants in them and plan to add more. They take a little more work it's true, as in the summer you have to water them more, but that's no biggie as you'll want to use the watering time to admire your new plants! Plus, in a small garden it won't take long. Down the side of my house, thanks to people on this forum, I have some great shade loving plants :) Viburnum Tinus have just burst into flower, I also have ferns and some Hostas on the go. All fairly easy plants for beginners like me.

Growing up a obelisk from a pot is a honesuckle with light flowers in the summer to brighten up the place. I also plan to get a hardy fuschia in a pot. I remember these being fairly easy to look after from when I was a child.

You could even allocate a pot for each of your children to take care of with plants like Nasturtiums, which are fun and easy.

Right, I'll stop there but thought I'd share what I've learnt so far as I have had great advice on here an have literally just planted out my garden.

Oh, and someone mentioned to me on here that the main thing you want to do first is just tidy the yard up. You'll feel happier immediately. I spent a day with my dad getting rid of every piece of rubbish, tatty bits of ivy and swept everything. It was immediately satisfying to have a blank, tidy canvas to work from!

• Like Like x 4
        • **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,347
        • merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
          Hi everyone thanks for your advice I really appreciate it! I think trellises and climbing plants are definitely the way forward. I decided to leave the concrete for now due to the trampoline etc.

But lots of potted plants and some raised beds around the edges should hopefully brighten it up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk