Help needed wth young bird ...

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Victoria, May 28, 2011.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Also, you will often find many young birds on the ground because they are just in the middle of their first fly attempt. Best idea is just to leave them where they are because their parents will rescue them. Otherwise if we just move them the parents will not recognize the smell any more and leave them.

PS I just read that pigeons do not need to lift their neck in order to drink the water. Also from the colour of your bird I think it could be a dove.

2. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    This is a collared dove...but I'm not into the birds of Portugal so couldn't be sure of what you've got.

[​IMG]

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I had already said it was a juvenile Collared Dove in my post:D

Victoria,glad that the little one has eaten which does show that it has either just fledged or was about to so he is of an age where given a week or so he will be able to go off and do his own thing unless he bonds with you.I'm not sure if they become tame like homing pigeons.

The poo will be from what he had already eaten over the previous hours before your cat found him and you will probably see that the poo might change after the food you have given him goes through his digestive system.

As you can see from the photo that raebhoop put up that the Collared Doves are slimmer and a pinky colour whereas Wood Pigeons are heavier birds with a bigger beak.If you Google Wood pigeon you will be able to tell the difference straight away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,171
      Sad News

:cry3:I am sad to report, but not surprised, that the little dove did not make it through the night.

He ate a small amount again at 10pm, a little of the egg/cat food/veg mix, but did not want much. At 11pm we took his shoebox out and put it in the cat carrier (a bit ironic I know) towel on the bottom, car rug over the top and sides with just the front open and put him in the outdoor living room (detached from the house but with doors and windows so safe from predators). He seemed comfortable and happy. When I went and checked in the early hours, he had passed away. We did our best.

Paz Pássarinho.

Again, thank you all for your time to respond and advice.

• bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
      Ratings:
      +313
      not to worry you did your very best :dbgrtmb:

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      If one would just know what is the best thing to do...but we can only guess and hope for the best.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      You did everything you could, Vicky. Who knows? It might have been unwell when the cat discovered it.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi Vicky

poor little mite , at least it was safe and warm and you tried youre best.

I hesitated reading the update !!!

Spruce

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,171
      Hello again everyone.

Here is who we think is a parent ... and by all your comments (and raebhoop's picture) that is a Collared Dove and not a pigeon as we have thought for 13 years ... :DOH: They are noisy buggars and start up just after the Little Owls go to sleep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They sit and coo constantly on the various poles in the orchards around us ... as I have previously mentioned, there are thousands of fruit trees immediately around me.