Hel's heaven once again GSOH required!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well we have finally ordered our greenhouse it comes next week and then the real fun will start! :D Hel.xxx.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Good luck with it Helen. [​IMG]

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well what with the weather yesterday being so lovely Bob spent an hour or two in the garden doing his footings for the greenhouse slow but sure.

I in the meantime have planted a little veg plot down near the path and have started to prepare another border for the left side of the back garden near the (soon to be made) rear deck area.

I'm having huge problems with the border as I would like to stick to a colour scheme as I did originally want to have a green border with white flowers so in the summer evenings when we are able to sit out the flowers will be able to almost shine in the evening glow.

What do you guys and girls think? Hel.xxx.

4. littleorme

littleorme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That looks really lovely..please could you tell me the name of the tree in your side garde..I love the fall of the leaves...

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Littleorme the tree in the centre is called a Flamingo Tree or if you want it's proper posh name a Standard Salix Integra Hakuro Nishiki which is a bit of a mouth full isn't it?:D

If you are looking for the tree for your own garden then may I suggest that you pick a tree the right size for you as because it's grafted it will not grow any bigger than it is when you first buy it just more brushier.Hel.xxx.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bob's finished the footings due to yesterday's wonderful weather (it's raining now :()and I have been whooping with joy as some of my vegatable seeds have germinated in the tiny veg plot although I had to fence off the area yesterday as our two old ladies kept treading all over it even though I roped the area off in the first place...the naughty girls!

Here's another picture of my little gem guarding dragon that I took the other day he's going to be hid behind the greenhouse but it will be a nice surprise for the little ones to find later on.Hel.xx.

[​IMG]

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,366
  8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Shiney it was a carboot find and still brand new in it's box it was sold in Argos for £24 but I brought it for £6 I even haggled it down from £8......those pounds add up to spend later lol! Hel.xxx.

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    looking well braveheart..:thumb: love the dragon and the pounds do add up helen even though you are a cheeky monkey..keep us posted how your garden is coming along ..hell the weather is orrible today had loads to do :mad:... tell bob i said hello:thumb:

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I have been quite busy in the garden what with getting the greenhouse up and everything I was even 'allowed' to play in it yesterday but only because Bob was busy doing some railings in front front of it!:rolleyes:

Anyway I have finally planted my standard lilac tree the boys brought for me for mother's day (I know lazy old mare took your time) while I was digging out the hole in Dude's memorial garden (the side one) I spyed some strange little shoots and decided to pot them on.

When they were in the ground I hadn't a clue what they were...... can you guess?

[​IMG]

It turns out that they are Hosta seedlings and they only grew because I was a little lazy earlier in the year I chopped the flowering stalks off and just left them amongst the wood chippings and conveniently forgot to remove the stalks until just a short time ago.

Although I have a few Hostas I seem to only have one that matures enough to set seeds needless to say I left some in the ground to see how they go and potted the rest in a large pot to see the difference in their growth patterns. I'm really pleased with the find as it came on the anniversary of my much loved father-in-law's death and also it's getting closer to the time we lost our beloved Dude , it kinda made me think that maybe they are still with me watching over me I know it sounds silly but I like to think of it that way.Hel.xxx.

[​IMG]

11. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    it kinda made me think that maybe they are still with me watching over me I know it sounds silly but I like to think of it that way.Hel.xxx.

-------------

Hellen,
    life only stops when those that have pastaway get forgoten . And as you remember them there life caries on in many more ways ;)

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh Helen, that's lovely. I agree with TM about the remembrance of ones' gone.

cheers

13. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Hel,
    I think your garden looks really good and well loved. I love that Salix in the log circle. How long have you had it?. I nearly lost mine when I went on holiday last year, it was as dry as a bone and had dropped most of it's leaves. I hard pruned it and watered and fed it and lo and behold, it came back thicker and better than before. I won't make the mistake of not putting it in a sheltered spot this year with a drip feed attached.
    G.man
    ;)

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx sweetie you're always there for me Sandra.x.

Thanks also G.Man I do love nothing better than weeding in the garden it's a blessing really as Bob (my hubby) doesn't like the planting or after care although he is great at building stuff and watering!
    The Salix in the middle of the log roll hasn't been in a year yet I also like to give it a good hack and it's amazing what reward you get in return for being so brave. The below picture was taken this morning and as you can see it's filling out very nice.

[​IMG]

Although I'm going to have to remove the chives as they are getting too big for their boots.Hel.xxx.

15. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Aye, they are hiding everything else, I find they are great for a border and if I keep cutting them they stay young and fresh.
    G.man
    :D