Heritage Open Days

Discussion in 'Events' started by JWK, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately yes.:tnp: Not the one from the county school though. Got the one from the comprehensive.

Ooo, found an old pic of it.

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number741.asp

After it was demolished there were some concrete bunkers left around the edge. We used to shelter in them & drink beer & eat curries from the bamboo garden takeaway. Only earnt £4 a week then, but a pork curry for 2 was £1.10, 20 rothmans were 57p & 4 big cans of beer was 98p.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Super 'old' photo ziggy, it's only 1958 but it looks like another age.

I really miss the Bamboo Garden, it was closed about 15 years ago and there hasn't been another really good sit down Chinese in guildford since - well a new one has just opened along the Worlplesdon Road in what was the Royal Hotel Pub. it's a bit pricier than £1.10 for a pork curry!

PS: hope Mrs Ziggy isn't reading this, I'm sure the comprehensive was just as good as the County School :)

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :hehe:Tee Hee, we've got our own secret guildford thread running & the others havn't seen it.

The Royal was my first local, it was a total dive, if you were fighting outside, the bouncers would drag you in.

If you go up the hill past Emanuelle church (my first church) just opposite Seafare fish & chip shop, there is a petrol station with a housing estate behind it.

That was my families land & sawmill business, till grandad sold it for £50 for beer money without telling the rest of the family. Worth Millions now.:dh::cry:

There were some houses due to be demolished just down from there, me & some mates got in to one, found a daily mirror from 1953 under the lino in the bathroom. The telly page was printed in the gap left if you take the centre pages out. About 6 progs a day.

Still got it.

Where were you before Guildford John?

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    The Royal was still a dive before the Chinese took it over earlier this year, it's really posh now.

Were you in Guildford when the IRA bombed the Horse & Groom and the Seven Pigeons? That was before I lived here, the Horse & Groom was a similar dive to the Royal always full of squaddies.

Yep, that was a bad decision selling for £50, but in the short term I bet your Grandad was more than happy with the beer vouchers. I know where that filling station is, a prime location and I think maybe you are not far out in it's worth now.

Just a bit further along there is a small garden centre at Pitch Place (opposite the Honda garage) in an old victorian walled garden, its getting run down and recently closed and I always tell my wife I'm going to buy it whenever it comes up for sale. It's only a pipe dream because I'll never be able to afford it but running a little garden centre or nursery that size would be my ideal life.

I moved around a fair bit before settling in Guildford, I lived in Dunstable, Cambrige and Essex, went to Uni in Nottingham was brought up in God's own country, but was born in Middlesex.

PS: I was born in 53 although can't remember much about the telly in those days :)

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh wow, will try & photocopy the paper for you. cant do it this weekend as coming to Aldershot to see Mum & Dad, ere, theres a thought, shall we meet up for a cup of tea on sunday before I come back ? I could bring the paper with me then :dh:

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Well a copy would be nice Ziggy, but theres no rush. You are most welcome to pop in for a cup of tea anytime, and I'm in this weekend so you are most welcome to drop in - I'll pm you my contact details :)

If anyone else is reading our secret guildford thread then the offer of a cup of tea is open to one and all - I'll give you a tour of my garden, it won't take long! :thumb:

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Ziggy, have you seen my "Garden Destruction" thread? http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/jwks-garden-destruction-t15760.html

I'm afraid it isn't much more advanced than my last posting on that thread, so if you hate seeing a garden that looks more like steptoes yard than a nice green oasis we could meet half way or nearer Aldershot I'm happy to do that as well.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh, I am so jealous now John, those flints are fantastic & the size of the place, wow.

And as for all that chalk, why did you spend money on cement ?

You could have just burnt the limestone & used that for your mortar.:dh:

Great pics, look forward to meeting you. :thumb:

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I didn't realise I could have made my own mortar, I suppose I should have realised, digging out the chalk and piling it up it sets like concrete when it rains.

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I hadn't realised I could use it to make mortar. Although I should have worked it out by now, each time I dig out a pile of chalk it sets like concrete in the rain.

Likewise ziggy :thumb:

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    ooops - double posted somehow :doh: only had a small cider tonight too :hehe:

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on me last captain morgan now :thumb:

If you kiln the lime, then you have to slake it with water 7 then let it mature for 3 months, then, hey presto, you got lime putty to make your mortar mix with.

I go bed now.:flwsml:

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Well it was great meeting you Ziggy and thanks for the Chilli plant.

Got to say folks, Ziggy is a really nice genuine man and I hope to take his advice on what to plant in my stone wall, I'm on the lookout for wall pennywort.

Ziggy; let me know what you think of the tomatoes.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Aww, :o:D,

Likewise & my pleasure. Have tried the toms & posted on the end of your taste test thread.

In all the exitement, I forgot to mention that the 1953 paper wasn't where it should have been. So now it could be any where, will keep me eyes open for it.

Great so see the garden, glad your getting on so well with it, these things cant be rushed.

Thought afterwards about the bench outside that you were experimenting with.

Theres a new playground at West Bay that has a lovely corner seating area, i'll take the camera down next weekend so you can have a look, might be a bit rustic for you but wouldn't hurt to see.

15. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Oh I forgot about the paper as well! Never mind if you can't find it.

I'd be interested in any ideas for my garden bench. Its more about simplicity in the construction, so any ideas are welcome.