Hill Walk

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by fairygirl, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Scroggin

Scroggin Gardener

Mechanical Technician, Retired
    Ratings:
    +532
    Lovely photos @fairygirl and a great narrative to go with them

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,017
      That looks like an exhilarating walk @fairygirl, lovely photos. I’m puzzled by “dreeping” but am sure it’s highly respectable :biggrin:.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
        Ratings:
        +3,578
        That definitely looks like my kinda scenery. :blue thumb: I like lots of greenery and gentle hill shapes. I live near the coast but never visit. Too stark and not enough trees.

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,923
          There's something about Scottish landscape @fairygirl that hits the senses and creates emotion. I can feel it oozing with the history I love when I'm out and about. Even though I'm English I particularly feel a connection with Glen Orchy when I visit there. Do you feel at home in a particular place when you're out on the hills?

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,555
          Thanks everyone - very kind, as always :smile:
          I'll try and keep going as long as possible @DiggersJo - if the knees can manage it.
          Dreep is a Scottish term for gradually sliding/dropping down something - similar to drip. Often on your bum rather than on your front @Plantminded. It isn't pretty, but it's often necessary in awkward sites! Going up isn't any easier, but that's the price for the views. ;)
          I couldn't live somewhere that I couldn't access hills reasonably easily. Flat land does nothing for me I'm afraid, and neither does endless woodland. I need to see the sky - when it's clear enough :biggrin:
          That hill is one that makes me feel quite centred @Sheal, especially that lochan with it's huge rocks that are like sentinels guarding the lochan itself, but there are quite a few. Glen Tilt is lovely - have you been there? The scoured rock along the river is beautiful. Glen Orchy is certainly surrounded by many famous hills.
          For me, nothing beats a high level walk along a ridge between two hills though, and The Mamores are a prime example of that, but people often head for Nevis etc instead, not realising that virtually every other hill you can see from there is a better walk. :smile:
          Being able to see hills for many miles around, is something that comforts me enormously, and often the smaller hills give the best views. The Brack is at just over 2,500 feet of altitude, but the 360 degree views are superb on a clear day. All the hills on that side of the road are great. I did it on a May evening some years ago, and I could have stayed for hours. Just the sheep, and the butterflies for company...and the silence.

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
            Ratings:
            +904
            Fab photos again, thanks @fairygirl . I'm with you on your opinion of Ben Nevis; the only time I went up it, you couldn't see anything from the top, which had its own private cloud "hat".

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,555
            People always want to do it @Liriodendron, understandably, but they're often not regular hillwalkers and are doing it for charity etc, and can be badly equipped, as they don't realise the difference between the start point and the final altitude. You see it regularly on lots of hills.
            It's often snowing at, and near, the summit, all year round and they have lightweight clothing on. It's also very dangerous in poor conditions because you then don't see the route, and can easily drop off the north side. Happens every year to folk, although it can often be climbers doing the north route.
            It's the same with lots of hills though, you get above about 3,000 feet and you can't see more than a few feet in front of you because of cloud. That can be very tricky :smile:
            I did The Brack on a wintery day one year, and the lochan was frozen, with a thin layer of snow. You could see footprints across it. Highly dangerous because, although it's quite deep, it wouldn't have been frozen to any great depth. Those idiots were very lucky.

• Like Like x 1