1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Lets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by luciusmaximus, Dec 5, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I've been giving some serious thought to this. I've been doing a little research and read that there is currently a shortage of holiday let properties on the island. However, the property market has improved and prices have soared, so buying a really nice property is out of my budget now. If I had been a bit more switched on I would have bought another house like Morlais back in 2011. So, I'm looking at buying into the cheaper end of the market. We viewed a property last week but decided that it was too noisy and needed too much work doing. I could turn Morlais into a holiday let as it ticks all the boxes with location, views, beaches, coastal walks, etc, but I'm not keen on that idea. I've spent a lot on renovations and buying things to make it nice. My home is my castle, don't want loads of strangers trampling all over it. And, I would still have to buy somewhere for us all to live. There is a lot to take into consideration and I also have to think about reselling a property in future. There are lots of cheap end properties for sale up here and they take awhile to sell.

Just wondering if anyone on here has a property they rent out as a holiday let? And, if so, what their experiences have been.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,512
      I don't have a property to rent out but have some thoughts and cautions on the matter. Some members do have holiday lets and may wish to correct my assumptions - please do :blue thumb:

Apart from the normal business problems of advertising, vetting (possibly) and maintenance on the property you will come across the tax implications. I'm not really up to date on those any more but will make some guesses.

I think that the government have now cut out the tax relief on the mortgage interest. You will have to pay tax on the rent you receive (after deduction of expenses - which should cover most, or all, of it if you have a canny accountant). When you eventually sell the property you will be liable for tax on the increased value (less certain allowances) and that tax used to be at 40%.

You would need to calculate how long the holiday letting season is in your part of the world and see whether it will cover the costs. If you're doing it purely as a way to invest money with a view to a future profit then you can take a different view of it to that of just wanting an income from it.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Thanks for the advice :). I don't need a mortgage but the capital gains tax will likely still apply. I don't think there is any vetting involved with a holiday let, they just book and pay in advance through the holiday lettings company. Different with tenants, who are subject to various checks. There's a lot to think about.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1