1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

HoneyBerry ...?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, May 6, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

While in Wilcos, saw a healthy looking 12" high Honeyberry plant for just £2.50 thouhg not knowing of it , took a punt and got one.

Sounds like it takes a few years to get to fruiting size.

Anyone grown one and can say if its worth the space ?

thanks.

2. Pushkin

Pushkin Super Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +1,220
    I bought one last week from Wilko too.
    I've put mine in a pot atm.
    The feedback on the taste is very mixed from disgusting to lovely.
    Can't wait to find out for myself.

3. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I planted one in mid summer last year in a neglected semi shady spot. It looked dead on arrival and did nothing all year. Suddenly this spring it has come to life. Apparently you need to cross pollinate so I bought another pair still in their pot and put them besides it. I just checked and it looks like a very small amount of fruit has set on the one that is planted in the ground.

They are supposed to taste like blueberries. If so then I reckon they will make a great addition to the garden for some early season fruit. Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has grown them and what the fruit was like. I'm going to plant the new ones today and I'll give them a few years to see how they go.