horrid splinter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jesss, Nov 25, 2007.

1. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Believe me if you were married to a nurse you wouldn't get any sympathy either. Your arm would have to fall off before they thought it was worth comment.

2. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Geoff,

Mr AG, is very squeemish, having had a knee op and not able to bear the thought of having the stitches out i did it myself with a steri-pak. After he had sunk 4 pints, for medicinal purposes he said :rolleyes: [​IMG]

3. Vistabile

Vistabile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aw, I sympathise, Pro Gard.
    The ones I hate are the opportunists that get inside the gardening glove without me noticing and do their worst when I am least expecting it ..... grrrrrrr!!

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The worst splinter I ever endured was whilst pulling the dead stalks of my Autumn Joy Sedum (Dont try this at home!)

It was proving a little tricky - reminding me a bit of bamboo - and required a fair bit of force. As I yanked one particularly stubborn stem, my thumb slid up the stem, wedging an inch sized splinter in my delicate thumb flesh! I looked at it for a horrible second in horror, before grabbing the open end, and pulling (also requiring a fair bit of strength!)

I realised in that split second that it was a 'now or never' situation! *Shiver!*

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  6. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Yes, thorns can be very nasty. I try to remember to use my leather gardening gloves for pruning the roses and other thorny things. There are some plants that catch you out though.

7. jesss

jesss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my finger is good as it ever was now cheers!
    i thoroughly enjoyed sawing up the branch i took off the Robinia and cramming it in the sack too! ha ha