1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosepipe Ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jun 29, 2018.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I've got pretty much clay, and it goes deep, clay holds moisture much longer than sandy soil I believe.
    Clay is good for established plants, maybe not so good for anything you are trying to establish if it dries out.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @pete like I said earlier they get paid...hubby is out now [​IMG]plants front and back besides washing the motors ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        @pete ,it did seem a lot , thought I had better check my figures.........
        The latest leakage figures, provided by the Consumer Council for Water, show that 439,200,000 litres of treated water are wasted in United Utilities' area each day.
        Litres is the correct unit for liquid volume , so we can't really pick them up on that . They did give it in swimming pools as well ( 175 Olympic ones ) And the metric conversion is 1000 swimming pools = 1 standard euro lake :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          We love having a good moan @noisette47 :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            @HarryS don't forget the amount that's collected in peoples homes it ruins :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              besides a good laugh Harry ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
              • HarryS

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                The latest leakage figures, provided by the Consumer Council for Water, show that 439,200,000 litres of treated water are wasted in United Utilities' area each day.
                Just got some more info on the United Utilities water loss rate . The 439 million litres lost per day is 25% of the usage ! A huge amount . Can we safely assume that UU will reduce our water bills by 25% during the hose pipe ban ?

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,361
                  :nonofinger: :sad: :mad:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    I pay a small fortune for water here......£1200 or so a year.....so I dont feel too badly about having green lawns. :noidea: S.W.Water has the highest water bills in the country. Our reservoirs are pretty full though and no hosepipe bans likely. Mind you, the holiday season is upon us now and we have lots and lots of visitors, all using water :sad:

However, I repeat my view that mulching helps substantially....of course, follow the "rules"; mulching over wet soil for example. :) Better for plants too rather than them drying out, being watered and drying out again :noidea:

Knowing what plants have the dna to survive dry conditions, and growing those, makes a big difference too.

The context is, however, we are experiencing one of the best summers in years so a bit of a water shortage is a small price to pay :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Verdun I do agree with this plus it's testing the best plants for survival with out water :)

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                      Ratings:
                      +6,097
                      I live in the Thames Water Area, upto now no hint of a ban. In past times registered disabled people were allowed to use a hosepipe with respect of course. A while back Thames Water did a lot of mains pipework etc including installing seperate stopcocks for each dwelling plus meters. I presume private householders are on metered water, as yet, I still pay a small amount to the council along with my rent.
                      It is probably worth while to read the rules etc of your water supplier. There are provisions made for individuals who have skin problems and other medical probs.
                      Getting back to the hosepipe vs the can. Similar I suppose to filling the fish pond. Where a hosepipe ban is in force, despite any dispensations. A hosepipe can still be used to fill the watering can. Perhaps worth a try. Stick the hose into the can and go ahead and water from the can.

Passing on to other matters. It really annoys me at times with this country. OK we have some hot weather. How long since global warming hit the headlines? Energy crisis. We are an island, the idea of hydro electricity is poo pood. Road and rail. Snow blocks many routes. Buy more dual purpose vehicles for snow clearing. Wrong type of rain, leaves on tracks now due to the heat. Rail lines are buckling. So what idiot decided to weld the rails and do away with the fish plates that allowed for expansion. Cheer up. Soon be autumn. I wonder if the leaves will fall the right way up??????????????????

• Like Like x 2
                      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +9,233
                        :sofa:
                        ....remember, the water boards have all been privatised - so nothing to do with the government, everything to do with making the rich richer...
                        :sofa:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Hello Sian I forget about privatised mate :whistle: and I agree regarding making the richer richer :mute:...don't get me started as it drives me mad :wallbanging:

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,225
                          This talk of hosepipe bans really annoys me.

During our last hosepipe ban in 2012, I managed to track down the following statistic (can't find it again :scratch:)
                          And of course none of the suppliers would ever publish it.
                          But apparently domestic use accounts for 10% of overall supply. The bulk being farming and industry.
                          And of the domestic use, only 1.5% was through watering the garden with a hosepipes.
                          So if my maths is correct, that is 0.15% of overall use. Even if my maths isn't that good :rolleyespink:, hosepipe use is a tiny fraction of total water use. And a hosepipe ban has an almost insignificant impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            I really sense the powers that be are trying to rein in the population......any excuse to restrict our use of services and our entitlement to them. We have too much power, use too many resources and are simply an inconvenience. The disabled are treated as not worth financing and although I am not directly affected I know of many who are.....but that's another story.
                            Water is something we all need so an easy target.....let us have less of it and charge us more for it. :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1