Hosepipe ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Crarp then ... :(

I could do with understand how it is possible to "lose" 25% of what you transmit, when its a physical commodity like water. I can understand Electricity being lost through heat ... but if the Oil companies "lost" 25% of the oil in the North Sea Pipelines I suspect it would be quite obvious! Where are all these leaks? I'm not seeing water bubbling up in all the streets ...

Well ... it will do mine for sure, but yours is pretty big of course ... :heehee:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    That's because they don't fix loads of those reported, but simply turn down the pressure until you don't see it bubbling up anymore and stop complaining.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,442
    The problem we now have with the leaks is because of management incompetence from many years ago.

In the rural areas, Forty years ago the water authorities had a repair and maintenance plan running alongside the installation of new sewer. The leakage problem was nowhere near s great then as it is now but they didn't factor that into their calculations as they thought they would be able to keep ahead of it with their maintenance programme.

Unfortunately, it was a matter of the 6P's (Proper Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance) because they were using the wrong funds. A lot of the rural areas had, and still have, no mains drainage. The fund that they were using to put in new drainage was also being used for maintenance. This programme was funded from the revenue raised from the sewage rates.

In 1977 a farmer challenged his local authority over taxing him for something he has never had. What used to happen is that the water and sewage rates were all classified as one entity and you just paid your water rates based on the rateable value of your property. The farmer contended, and won in court, that they couldn't charge him for sewage and rainwater removal when he wasn't connected to the system and the nearest sewage pipes were over 20 miles away.

This brought about a change in the law and water authorities can't charge you for sewage if you don't have any sewage pipes. It brought an instant halt to the installation of drainage to these areas, made an enormous hole in their budget and brought their maintenance programme to a crashing halt. They should, of course, had the maintenance and repair work funded from elsewhere but they had been getting away with it for so long that nobody foresaw the consequences.

They never really reinstated a proper maintenance plan and just floated along making good when forced to. In more recent years they thought that installing water meters would also reduce water usage significantly. It did so for only a brief period - another example of the 6P's.

So, if they had run a proper maintenance programme we wouldn't be in such dire straits now! :wallbanging: :mad:

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Found this link re the current ban which is quite useful.

What I would want to know if we did have another ban is if you can fill your watering can from a hosepipe, as that would obviously make things a lot easier.

5. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    So neither Thames Water's "definition of a garden" (which doesn't include domestic planting beds - just lawns), nor Rule 3 ban the use of a hose pipe for watering bare, unplanted (unsown?) domestic garden beds, tree pits, etc. prior to planting. So can you give your garden a thorough soaking before you plant?

6. Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    As I read it, you cant use a hose pipe, unless its part of your business to use a hose, or you have a blue badge

7. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593

so, if I'm a full time landscaper/gardener, am I allowed to use a hose at gardens I work at?

8. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    On the link I've posted above it says :

Ofwat:
    Commercial activities are generally not affected by hosepipe bans. However, a gardener or window cleaner must not use a hosepipe or sprinkler connected to a customer’s private supply.

9. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    But it would appear they could fill a water bowser with a hosepipe and then use that to water the plants - another loophole?

[​IMG]

Or fill a tank/butt with a hosepipe then use a submersible pump to spray it all over the garden - Aldi are selling some at the moment for <£40.

10. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Oh well .... I charge per hour .... so if my clients don't bother with carrying a watering can to and fro, suppose I will end up doing so (and get paid extra)

I have mentioned about installing a drip irrigation system to a few of my clients, but no-one seems interested (yet)

as far as I know, the hosepipe ban does not effect Cambridge (so far)

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,442
    dim, if you come under Cambridge Water then you don't have a ban, yet. If you come under either Anglia Water or Veolia Central you do.

Scrungee, you are probably misunderstanding the 'definition' of a 'garden'. They have used the "includes" which doesn't mean it excludes anything not mentioned. They clearly intend it to cover all domestic gardens. You can use a hose to fill a pond if there are fish in it and you can use a hose to water plants, in pots, in a polytunnel but not in a greenhouse :scratch:

12. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    My point is they (water authorities) have again left the rules open to interpretation/misinterpretation.

The fact that "they have used the "includes" which doesn't mean it excludes anything not mentioned may have intended it to cover them (domestic gardens), but they have not included them in their list of definitions of inclusions, starts to sound rather like this quote of yours:

If they intended the ban to cover all hosepipe use in domestic/residential gardens (rather than what they've specified) why on earth didn't they simply say so?

Another case for 'plain English' perhaps?

13. Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have a few water butts on the allotment, and I can connect them to a hose lock system, works good for me, I put seaweed fertilizer in one, nice and easy that way, just have to mix it now and then, I also put a nettle teabag in there too

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,442
    It only works if you have some rain to fill the water butts :sad:

Scrungee,
    you don't really expect them to make things clear, do you? :heehee:

The other week I managed to find online the full 13 pages of the drought order. It goes into much greater detail. After I queried some of the anomalies in the order it seems to have disappeared from online :scratch:. It's either that or I just can't find it again.

I had a nice conversation with them on the phone and they have since phoned me back 'clearing up' some points. You can use a hose to fill up a watering can if it's a 'short' hose - and has a 'water stop' on it. When pushed, they said a short hose would be no more than 2m. You can use a hose to fill a pond that has fish in it. Although the order states that you can use a hose to water pots that are 'under cover' it doesn't include watering pots in a greenhouse BUT you are allowed to water pots in a polytunnel!!!! They stated, categorically, that any use of a hosepipe in the garden, outside of these terms, apart from those referring to drip or trickle feed, (or if you are a blue badge holder) was prohibited. This prohibition includes seep or soak hoses. I then said that although I didn't have a blue badge I had a number of physical problems - which I explained. They said that an application for exemption, accompanied by a doctor's letter, can sometimes be looked upon favourably.

I also asked them whether they would be speeding up their repair of leaks. They were unable to comment :doh:

15. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Does this mean that because OH has a Blue Badge I can use a Hosepipe? (hypothetical question as we are not affected by Drought Orders)