Hosepipe ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry, but it amazes me that people take this view. Why don't you justify why you think a wet April is enough for the ban to be listed?

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    In the 70's/80's Northumbrian Water (as it was then) invested in a MAJOR Reservoir (Keilder Water).
    They recognised the need to conserve available water to maintain good supplies.
    We in the North now have no problems at all with water shortages. It's not just down to the rotton weather either.
    Other water authorities failed to follow the lead and now annually claim shortages. The customer are the ones to suffer.
    The Water Authorities need to justify why THEY failed to meet the demands of their customers.
    Rant over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I hear you :) and hopefully that works well for your area. Do you have a hose pipe ban? Hopefully not given the local water resources you have.

Reservoirs are a luxury that the South East does not have for several reasons: most of the South East doesn't have rivers that have enough flow to make storage in reservoirs cost effective (water companies have to leave flow for agriculture too, and environmental needs), and in densely populated areas there isn't the space. We also don't have any "mountains" that provide the opportunity for deep storage in a relatively small area, the place is what I would call "undulating" and outsiders would call "flat as a pancake"!. My pond evaporates at 1/2" per week in Summer I reckon??, which, if that applies to reservoirs too, particularly ones with a shallow ratio of area-to-depth, is very wasteful - in the absence of significant rainfall / river flow to replenish them.

Consequently South East gets most of its water from boreholes (I seem to remember reading that we get less rainfall than Israel, so provision of water needs to be even more "efficient" than in such arid countries). The main downside of that is that we cannot "catch" the rainfall from an exceptionally wet month like this April, as it takes time to percolate through the soil into the aquifer; the upside is that, once it has percolated down, we have a huge resource that smooths out the peaks-and-troughs between wet & dry years. However, the South East has had the driest 18 months (apart from April) for 150 years I believe - and April only reduced the "deficit" by some 5% :(. There is no way that consumers would have been prepared to pay for the cost of storage of water for a once in a century event, nor do I think we should attempt to tool-up for such an infrequent event, particularly if the Water Company is right that we only need to save 5% - 10% in order to tide us over - its not that hard to achieve with some community spirit & effort. (We could, presumably, have "tooled up" for such an event by making boreholes considerably deeper - but I expect the additional cost would have been impossible to justify at the outset.)

Kent and the like have built more houses than the water infrastructure can supply, that's clearly daft and someone should be hung out to dry as a consequence. I would prefer that we had no leaks etc., and I may quibble with the speed at which the water companies are correcting that issue, but they have done a lot since privatisation and I doubt the consumers would be happy to pay what it would cost to fix the dilapidated state of the infrastructure faster; but I also think there is a huge PR opportunity for water companies that can show that they are making remarkable achievements, rather than just doing as little as they have to and in the mean time paying themselves and their cronies bonuses and dividends that Jo Public quite rightly perceives as obscene.

• Like Like x 2
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,792
        gcc3663 = 15
        Kristen = 30
        "new balls please":lunapic 130165696578242 5:
        Must be almost time for afternoon tea chaps.

Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 2
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          That sounds rude :heehee:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          So does 15 love. Wouldn't type that into a search engine:hate-shocked:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,174
          No problem with that. You try it.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Not with safe search off.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,792
          Not an avid tennis watcher but Iv'e heard this phrase shouted out on Centre court with the great, the good and Royalty watching. Anyway,poor light has stopped play now and we must get back to the thread chaps.
          Jenny namaste

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,823
          The tone gets lowered once again. Tut! :roflol:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Along with the water table:snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            • Like Like x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,690
              This thread is going round in circles, I've already posted twice about the Beckton Desalination Plant which provides enough fresh water for 1 million Londoners.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +51,808
                Some very good posts in this thread, and whilst I agree with Kirsten, I am also of the mind that the infrastructure in the South East needs reassessed.

We apparently have sufficient reservoirs and aquifers to maintain supplies, except following lengthy dry spells such as we've seen over the last two years. Where we seem to be lacking is the ability to capture large amounts in a relatively short space of time and direct it back into the existing storage.

Over the last few weeks, and no doubt again tonight by looks of the forecast, some of the roads around here have been like swimming pools, and all the water in the surface drains runs into our sewer system, through processing plants (that end up overflowing and discharging untreated sewage out) and then out to rivers and sea. Why?

Why not connect these surface drains to larger storm drains, that then go directly to reservoirs? I accept that it won't be as clean as the water running off the hills, but surely its not going to be all that much worse? The sideline benefits of this would hopefully be more effective drainage on our roads and streets (and therefore less standing water to damage the road surface, which costs money to put right), and a greatly reduced risk of discharging raw sewage out to sea at times of heavy rainfall.

Also, why do we have to wait for water to seep back through the ground into the aquifers - we can pump the stuff out, so why on earth can't we pump some back in when we have it in vast quantity?

Of course, all of this would cost - and private companies are unlikely to make the investment as they wouldn't see a suitable return on their investment in a reasonable time-frame which is fair enough; BUT, surely this is the sort of investment that our government could (and should) make, building infrastructure for future generations, providing jobs to build it right now when they are desperately needed?

It bewilders me that the schemes such as the high speed rail line, or even an airport out in the estuary are considered (and in some cases are successful), yet similar investment in our water and sewerage system seems to be off the table.

• Like Like x 2
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,668
                  Good ideas there. I don't object to the cost of the drainage on the basis that its actually solving two problems - improving flood response, and catching water in summer that is currently wasted during torrential downpours and flash-floods.

I have trouble catching all the rain that falls in a thunderstorm ... nice drizzle is much better, doesn't overwhelm the tiddly greenhouse gutters, nor people's downpipe diverters (although my downpipes go straight into the water butts to avoid that problem)