Hosepipe ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Mar 12, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Hi Axl,
    Most water authorities are saying they will impose all those regulations.

In your previous post you said "you can also use a jet wash as long as it's not for the garden or car. you can clean your paths and pretty much anything else too" but I think you'll find that you can't do that as the jet wash is connected to the tap by hose. According to someone from the authority being interviewed on the radio, pressure washing patios is not allowed unless they are done by someone contracted for the job. In other words:- it's alright for a business to do it but not a private person. Of course, you could always contract someone to do it and they can sub-contract it to you :WINK1:

Goosegog,
    Anything done using a watering can is OK.

gcc,
    piping around the garden and water running from a tap:- OK technically, yes - but there is likely to be something (not in the drought order) that says you mustn't keep taps running unattended or you may get your wrist slapped. :heehee: Of course, standing by the tap directing water into irrigation channels is likely to get around that.

Dim - quote "I prefer the system where you have a mist nozzle that sits above the ground and that can be seen when it works ..." - That wouldn't be allowed under the drought order. The water must run directly into the soil and not travel through the air.

Can't find any info on seeper pipes at the moment but I would guess they would come under the trickle/drip permission as it's directly onto the soil.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    As I understand it from a mate who is an angler, the water companies can only extract water from rivers around here when the rivers are in flood during winter.

As there has been no flood conditions this winter the water companies had to get special permission to extract river water, to fill reservoirs, around Feb.

Is this right and if so does it sound crazy?

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,365
    Doesn't surprise me, pete.

The water companies are saying that sorting the problem out is a long term thing. so what happened to the last twenty years when they did nothing?

They bleat on about us using some water for our plants and don't run the tap whilst cleaning our teeth whilst 25% of their water is lost through leaks. OK, they have reduced it from over 30% - big deal!!!!

They reckon, now that they're thinking about it, that it will take a minimum of 15-20 years to set up pipelines from the north and west - if they decide to do it. They've already agreed that they could sort out a lot of the problems by building more reservoirs, which would be much quicker and cheaper. If they also went into an intensive pipe repair programme they could whittle down that 25% loss much quicker.

Don't know about 'getting their fingers out', they want to get them stuck into the leaks!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,626
      Listened to Jeremy vine show on radio 2 this afternoon. To my surprise that there has never been a prosecution in the courts through someone using a hose pipe when there has been a ban on! :wallbanging:
      WhIch begs the question why bother?

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      Water companies seem very similar to HMG's Cabinet. Prone to leaks and full of drips.:heehee:

• Like Like x 4
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +122,365
        These people aren't always right.

Some years ago a couple of houseowners in the next village were taken to court over watering their lawns. They were fined.

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        From the news it seems that Yorkshire Water has sufficient water having built underground network of storage and 'pipelines', but just across the River Humber in Lincolnshire there is a significant shortfall in stored water and so will be subject to the hosepipe ban (in the Anglian Water region). Doesn't really make sense that each regional water company is acting like a fiefdom, but then I suppose that's what comes of having flogged off water to private companies - no integrated national network or national water strategy. Bit like the railways :mad:

A glimmer of a bright side is that my garden seems very sodden for this time of year, so fingers crossed ...

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,882
        I haven't run the tap whilst cleaning my teeth since 1976, that has stayed with me since the drought back then, when I was living in Essex.

Not wishing to sound flippant, now and again living in the north-west has it's advantages. We have more than our fair share of rain. :)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        The hosepipe bans have never been thought through. The first ones made it illegal to syphon your used bathwater onto your garden with a hose pipe. Better to let it drain down the plughole:doh:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        You haven't cleaned your teeth since 1976?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,882
          :doh:Ziggy, I said I havent run the tap whilst cleaning my teeth, I've not become a grot-bag yet! :loll:

• shiney

Ratings:
          +122,365
          I'm not wishing to defend the water companies (who I think are a waste of time) but nothing was being done, or planned, before privatisiation.

Up to the early 70's the water regions were run by local authorities - and not very well run either. Then the ten regional water authorities were formed and run by central government, under an organisation run by the heads of those authorities and some outside 'experts'. They were supposed to be organising a national policy for integration and conservation. In the 16 years they were in charge they did sweet F A apart from regulate water quality.

Neither Labour nor the Conservatives did anything to try and integrate the whole lot into a national grid - although they should have had a kick up the butt from the drought of '76. After 16 years of doing very little Mrs T sold them in 1989 - and a fat lot of good that did!!!!!

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
          +446
          I've just read the new Act isn't enforceable hence here's a list of things you can still do under the current act. Allegedly. I'm confused myself now.

• Use a hose or pressure washer to clean paths, patios, boats, windows, garden furniture, barbecues and much else which is neither garden nor car
          • Use a hose to fill ponds, paddling pools, swimming pools and other containers
          • Use a hose to wash down pets, horses – or with a spray head to take showers outdoors
          • Use a hose with a backflow prevention valve to fill livestock drinking troughs
          • Use a hose to put out a fire
          • Use a hose to mix cement or for any other DIY job
          • Use a hose for childrens’ play

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593