How do I Restore this Rose and Also Which One Is It?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jungle Jane, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Top Rose is a granular fertiliser applied dry, but I don't know if suitable for a container ... hang on, I've got a packet I'll go and have a read ...

... well that was no help! Instructions on rate to incorporate into the soil/compost used when initially planting in containers, but nothing about established plants in containers, so presumably it could be applied same as for plants in the ground.

Dunno where you draw the line on Organic though? These are just inorganic (I mean in a chemistry sense!!) chemicals, however applied.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      P.S. I wonder how effective a Comfrey mulch is, compared to Tea? I've always wondered how quickly the leaves rot down to make the nutrients available, and whether a good part of them is locked in until the "crop" has finished ...

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,742
      The pot looks OK to me as for feeding I would use a tomato liquid feed:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,839
        Comfrey seems to break down quite quickly cut and squashed into a container with water added and I would have thought that a comfrey mulch would be a good idea benefiting both plant and soil. The bacteria in the soil should break the leaves down fairly quickly. Coincidentally, Monty Don showed how to use Comfrey in the last Gardeners World and he described the smell of the Comfrey Tea as being like the worst case of Dogs Breath!!:doggieshmooze:

I used to buy "straight" Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potash in bags from a local Nursery that has closed some years ago and I can't remember seeing it for sale since........but then I wasn't looking for it!!:snork:

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I've taken the "plunge" and have decided to make a bit of comfrey tea this year after seeing it on GW. I've mulched the rose plant with some comfrey leaves yesterday and 3 out of 6 of my tomato plants, the other 3 I will try with comfrey tea and see if there any difference in yield, should be interesting. I mulched all my tomato plants last year and the leaves took about a month to completely disappear.

I deadheaded the first rose flower that was produced and have noticed more buds are being produced further down the stem as well as some newer leaves being produced at the sides. The smell of the rose is quite strong now when you walk about 3' away from it.

• Like Like x 2