How do you dispose of cat droppings?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BB3, Sep 18, 2024 at 11:24 AM.

1. cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,580
    We have a lot of fox poo - had to get up 5 lots the other day (it was full of fruit stones or pips) and I fling them over the fence onto the golf course, which is where the fox comes from. But if they have done cow pat ones they have to be left until dried out and they peel off the lawn easy. I always use the garden trowel, which is cleaned by shoving it in the soil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,549
      No amount of washing would induce me to use it in the kitchen :yikes:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        @RowlandsCastle it stands for 'on the quiet'. There are various explanations for it but all mean the same. Answered for you @Jiffy :thumbsup: :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,455
          A lot of councils have their own policies on waste collection. Ours doesn't have an incinerator but is fussy about what goes into each bin. We have a weekly collection of garden waste which is also for food waste but not for animal waste. Animal waste goes in the non-recycling bin but that is collected fortnightly.

Our neighbour's cat is very particular about his waste and buries it fairly deeply . Usually under large shrubs. Other animal pooh is scooped up and chucked into the field at the back. If it is soft we leave it to harden first.

I would have a chat with the neighbour and show your concern about the cat's health and ask them to keep it indoors until it is better. Otherwise scoop it up and dump it back in their garden. :noidea:

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
          Ratings:
          +3,508
          Cats aren't vegetarians though.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
          +375
          I find it amusing that recently one house, that has 6 cats, has been getting cat poo dumped (pun intended) outside their house. We have our suspicions who it is but there is quite a little pile developing there. I'm amazed that they don't seem to care at all.

What annoys me is that cat owners know their cats crap but most seem completely fine with them doing it elsewhere. I say this as a dog owner who absolutely hates the fact that a few idiots that let their dogs go wherever they like, seem to tar us all with the same brush. I'm very much of the opinion that when you get your dog chipped, they should take a dna sample and could therefore enforce a fine for those that don't pick it up.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +8,900
            Cats are very clean animals & will if they can dig a hole & cover it up.
            It's impossible to keep a Cat from going into other peoples gardens.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
              Ratings:
              +1,549
              Next door have an outdoor litter tray. Their cat uses that. It's too fat to get over the fence so it's not the culprit.
              There's a cat the other side that has a shifty look about it.

• lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,395
              Our little cat hated going outside to poo, used to come in thro the cat flap into the porch, use the litter tray then go back out again. We think it used to be an indoor cat before we rescued it as it took me six weeks to entice it outside and it didn't like walking on the grass at all.

• Like Like x 2
              • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                Ratings:
                +879
                It's perfectly possible to keep an indoor cat... our last two, now both deceased, were rescued from a flat so they'd never been outside. I could leave the door open and they never wanted to venture further than the doorstep! Next door's cat was severely injured by dogs, which were never kept on a lead past our houses (which opened directly onto the no-through-road leading to the park). We weren't prepared to take the risk, and our cats were perfectly happy indoors, with plenty to stimulate them. So - no poo in neighbours' gardens from our two.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +313
                  I also have two house cats.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Philippa

Philippa Gardener

Ratings:
                    +261
                    Whilst cats do like to keep themselves clean, they are not always particular about where they crap and do not by any means always dig a hole and cover it over. Even if they do that, it isn't a pleasant surprise when a gardener wishes to plant something in that particular spot. If it is your own cat, then you have to accept it but if it belongs to someone else, then you shouldn't have to deal with it.
                    It is a complete myth, endlessly promoted by some owners, that it is impossible to stop your cat from straying from it's own territory - ie your house/garden.
                    Unless we are talking about the truly wild cats ( in the UK only exist in Scotland ), then the cat is simply a domestic pet and the owner is responsible for it's health, safety and general well being - like any pet one chooses to own.
                    Gardens can be made cat proof by their owners if they so choose and so avoid landing others with both their faeces and their predatory tendencies. If owners are concerned that their cat will not get sufficient exercise, it is perfectly possible to train them to go for a walk on a lead. The owner simply has to be prepared to take the time/make the effort - little point in the owner saying they don't have the will or time - if that is the case, it's time to consider not owning a cat - or indeed any other "pet" which requires your time and attention.
                    There are plenty of responsible owners out there and cats undoubtedly make lovely pets and many people would be lost without their companionship. However, there are also many owners who have yet to accept that their cat is their pet and the responsibility lies solely at their door.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +1,580
                      I like my neighbours' cats coming into my garden. They are usually just passing through and checking their territory. They rarely poo on my flowerbeds. At least they are quiet. Much better than barking dogs. Give me a cat any day.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
                        Ratings:
                        +1,549
                        To be honest, I'd rather have cats than rats or mice.
                        Once it's too cold for bluebottles or for me to do much gardening, I'll forget about it - much like Spanish bluebells. Who gives them a thought this time of year unless you've dug a planting hole up to your elbows and happen on a couple lurking half way to Australia.