How do you dispose of cat droppings?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BB3, Sep 18, 2024 at 11:24 AM.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,049
    I agree with you.

Some people think you can fence them in, maybe that would work depending on the cat. I wouldn't want a 10 ft fence around our garden as our cat can jump onto our single story extension that's about 8ft. Our first house had covenants restricting high fences so I will say it's impossible to cage a cat into some gardens.

Around here we have badgers and foxes that destroy any wire netting defences around my veg patch, and make holes through to next door through chain link fencing. It would be a full time job maintaining them.

2. cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    You would need planning permission if your fence, including trellis, was more than 2m high. Cats can climb far higher!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
      +321
      I think with a fence the usual idea is to put wire netting round the top on a slope leaning inwards, a bit like a prison camp.
      This would definitely work with my cats, as they sometimes struggle to jump onto the table, but I'm sure some more gymnastic cats wouldn't find it a problem.
      I'm pretty sure that there used to be a company that would come and make your garden escape proof How Cat Fencing Works: Cat Enclosures & Catios | ProtectaPet

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,187
      I used to have lots of cats in my garden
      I must admit since I have got Ben (border collie) in April I see hardly any.
      He would run at them no doubt, but they just dont come in anymore, its obviously a territory thing that animals respect.

• Like Like x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,883
        Re the bin thing that doesn't seem to work... I read the reviews and for the (high) price it seems pretty pointless as you have to dig a huge pit under it anyway! So I'm thinking about digging the deep hole (I have acquired an excavator so will save effort!), cutting the bottom off a standard plastic bin, and just using that as the sides and lid to the hole.The most important thing is putting down soil and/or compost accelerator after adding poo. After all, that's what happened in old soil water closets

• Like Like x 2
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,359
          You've got a JCB, @CarolineL :yikes: Attagirl! That's serious gardening :roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
            Ratings:
            +4,883
            Well it's a "small" one @noisette47 - 1.4 ton.
            It's ancient but has been spoiled rotten by it's previous owner - done very little but well greased and looked after. I'm calling it "Lucien" - an elderly chap of distinction. As opposed to Molly my Kawasaki mule, who is a game girl, rough as anything but not afraid of work :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1