1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you get rid of fleas in garden?!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Carly, Jun 25, 2012.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,900
    Has the pest control people actually IDed the offending flea, as without knowing what they are up against its just spraying in the dark.
    These things have life cycles and to just kill the adults is not enough.

2. Carly

Carly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    He has not seen them, but I have shown it to pet shops and they said that is what it is. Problem is that you can't kill the eggs with sprays etc, just the adults. It's a case of killing them as soon as they hatch but once you have been bitten they lay their eggs. This is the difficulty.

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,900
    Its sounding like a flea that lives on humans, not animal fleas.
    My dog has been known to get fleas but they never bother us, we treat the dog monthly and the fleas die, it breaks the cycle.

Sounds nasty.

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Carly, I've got another theory on this now. Harvest mites! Some you can see and others you can't. Can you tell me where you are being bitten, ie legs or below, trunk of body etc., and what are the bites like?

I've had experience of these and can help you if these are the problem.

Harvest mites like damp ground and long grass, appear in spring and die off in autumn. If your garden is to blame keep the lawns short and keep flower beds weeded. When you're working out there, it's better to wear trousers and tuck the bottoms into your socks. If you hand weed wear gloves and wear long sleeves. Don't sit on the ground either.

Also have you been out walking where there has been long grass?

5. Carly

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just looked at harvest mite pics on google and that's not them. If you search for fles on google thaws are identical to those. I guess that are biting us because there is no animals. Apparently they can survive on humans as the host, they just don't live on us. Jump on us, bite, then back off again.

6. Carly

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help tonight everyone, I shall be checking the site regularly to see if anyone has any answers so if you find any please post. Thanks again.

7. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Is it worth checking with a vet to see if frontline can be used on humans? It was very effective when I had a dog or could you borrow a dog that has recently been sprayed with frontline (no I'm not suggesting feeding the dog to the fleas the spray on treatment kills on contact so the animal doesn't get bitten)

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,848
  9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it can interfere with fertility on humans.

10. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,576
    Yep was just thinking as I am reading. As you said as soon as it got warm. Its the eggs that are now hatching. So another treatment is needed. Sorry.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,900
    I'm thinking you would be best checking with a doctor what is most effective against fleas on humans.
    There must be treatments similar to animal ones.

I just find it difficult to think the fleas are living outside, without a host, and come in when the weather warms up.
    It surely has to be flea eggs living in the house, which might well be resistant to spraying, and then hatching in spring.

12. Carly

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have tidied up the garden today and the house shall be treated again tomorrow. If they continue then we shall be ripping all the capets up! So, if you are right about the problem being in the house we shall find out if it comes to that. I also wondered too about frontline but a doc would be able to advise on that I guess. Shall keep you posted!

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously, don't put Frontline on yourself or family.

Flea eggs will lie dormant in bedding (and carpets) They don't want to risk hatching if a nest is not being used or the young fleas will starve to death.

They are activated by vibration, just walking about will make them hatch.

Set the hi fi loud speakers on full bass, put a dub cd on repeat & then go on holiday for a fortnight.
    They'll all hatch out & starve in your absence. You might not have friendly neighbours when yo get back but there not the ones being bitten.

• Like Like x 1
    • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
      I knew someone a few years back who moved into a rented house and had similar problems turned out to be cat flees and the eggs where in the gaps between the floorboards and under the skirting and the professional they employed used a weak type spray because of the children and it didn't work,he had to use a stronger type and the house had to be empty for a few days for the fumes to clear.I dont know if this applies today with ultrasafe insecticides, but you cant kill something without using poison and the stuff now used might just not be strong enough with all the carpets down.
      Good luck this must be miserable for you and you family.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        We had the same problem with emergency housing & cat fleas, the place had been empty for a while & then suddenly it was jumping.

We didn't use any pesticides, just kept hoovering & it was over in a week or so, they couldn't feed off us (although they tried) and just starved to death.