How do you make a raised veg bed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mark B, Nov 28, 2006.

1. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi MarkB,
    Glad to hear you have gotten started.

Thought I'd share a bit more info with you and the others:

In getting ready to fill my raised beds yesterday, I went shopping for some "Filling" to mix with the soil.

First stop was homebase. I picked up 3 x 80 Litre bags of Peat FREE compost, price marked at �£4.99 ea or 3 for �£12.00. At the till I was informed that they are now 3 for �£10.00 until end of February! Bit of a steal there me thinks.

Then off to the local gardening centre for the next bargain : Buy 2 Tunstalls grow bags, get one free , so 3 Good Quality GB's for �£1.98. These are for my toms on the patio.

Final purchase at Woolworths, 25 Litre Bag of John Innes Seed & Potting compost for �£1.99.

This shopping spree really cheered me up. Cant believe what great deals you can get if you shop around. Its a good few years since I bought any pre packed compost as I always make my own for raising flower seeds, but as this is my first year with a veg plot, I thought I might give my veggies a better start ? All my available home made compost has already been dug into my borders.

I have to admit that Im off out again this morning - back to the gardening centre to buy my canes: 8' ones are 30p ea whilst 6' ones are 25p ea.

With the arrival of my seed potatoes yesterday, I'm buzzing with planting anticipation. Think I'll go and sow my broad bean seeds in the conservatory!

TTFN.

2. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just when you thought there could be no more good news, I had an idea.

I was in the timber yard pricing up Gravel boards ( and fearing the total cost), when a builder's van pulled up, with a plethora of scaffold planks of various sizes on the back. I asked the guy if he wanted to flog any......

�£3 each for 4M lengths - These are condemned boards, that can no longer be used on-site due to age / condition. He has a pile of them in his yard !

The bonus for me is that although they were treated when new, this is now several years ago, and hopefully that ageing will have reduced any chemical leaching that I was expecting with pressure treated boards. Size is good too, 1.25'' thick and 9'' wide !

Im starting off with 4x4Metres, should be getting free delivery later today !

You may want to try your local companies for the same ! Good luck all.

TTFN

3. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi oktarine

Looks like you have come up trumps mate on both the wood and soli. A mate of mine sorted the wood out for me, I now have two raised beds, Both 6 x 5 x8". Preasure treated planks so should last a while. Need to buy the topsoil and compost now but with snow predicted over the next 24hrs i reckon i may order this for delivery next weekend, Like you i have purchased seeds and spuds and can't wait to start but i think a little patients is required, Good things grow for those who wait [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LCH.

I use to live in New Eltham,That said it was over 10 years ago. There use to be a builders merchants down the side of Mottingham railway station. Not sure if its still there of course. If not you could try round Avery hill, Sidcup way im sure there will be some places around there. Good luck.

5. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark will check it out. How high are your raised beds? Most of the timber merchants seem to sell the gravel boards at 15cm wide. No making raised beds this weekend though far too cold, snowy and muddy!

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I've managed to extend my plot, which now measures 12' by 8', after convincing my better half she wont be able to tend"her" plot as our first born is due mid june !

Soil has been dug over many times now, and despite the current all night downpour, its looking good, with a fairly fine tilth on the surface, thanks to daily raking:

[​IMG]

Construction of the raised beds will now start in earnest as soon as weather permits.

I'll keep you all posted!

TTFN

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Looking good, Oktarine! Congrats on the imminent new arrival, btw!

8. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Impressive stuff, Oktarine! But "Guys"???? Not Gals???? Come on, O! :D

10. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry dendro, but where I come from "Guys" is a collective!

I would never exclude gals - where would we be without em !

TTFN

11. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Floks ( That ok Dendro ? )!!

Just to let you know managed a few hours on the raised beds yesterday:
    In the runner bean bed ( small one in the middle ) I dug out to 2 spades depth and added about a dozen torn up newspapers, then recovered with mixture of existing soil and peat free compost together with a sprinkling of slow release fertilizer.

Next i plan to cover the bed with weed supression fabric - 2 reasons - soil warming and weed suppression. I plan to plant my runner beans and also some peas through holes in the fabric. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks !

TTFN

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Depends what Floks are? :D Only teasing - the number of typos I do, I can't comment!!
    Sounds like fun, O - all beautifully organised!

13. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  14. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Congratulations Oktarine [​IMG] - my second is due on Monday! :eek:

Now that this house is finally decorated I have the go ahead to spend time on the garden this year. :D I think this partly in the hope that it will entertain Emily (my daughter just gone 2). She is always saying she wants to help me with the gardening.

First job is the veggie garden with a small raised bed just for Emily. Not sure what to grow yet but as she loves all veggies she should be easily pleased.

I'll try and get some before and after (during most likely) pictures posted.

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Sounding good oktarine and looking forward to some pics TimD [​IMG]