How do you make a raised veg bed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mark B, Nov 28, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another question :rolleyes: Do I feed them with anything once they're up and running????

2. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the kids have sown a few carrots, beetroot and spring onions in it, we'll put the french beans in in a few weeks (just reading the seed packs- I've no knowledge or anything! :rolleyes: ) Hope that's the right thing to do?????

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    That's what I do, Windy - read the packets! :D

If you need more space for the other things, though, you could grow the beans up a wigwam of canes in an ordinary pot. I do! :rolleyes:

4. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone for dwarf varieties of the beans and runners...hoping this time that the wind won't take them off over the next village!!! Lots of UFO's in Cornwall in mid-summer!!!! :D :D

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey Windy Miller, wherever do you find the time? You are so much more productive than me and I don't have kids to take care of either!

Best of luck with the veg growing and eating :D FWIW what you are doing is pretty much what I'd do.

Don't know if you watch Gardener's World but Carol Klein is doing a kind of "square foot" veg plot which might give you some ideas and inspiration too - this Friday she suggested sowing lettuces inside the wigwam for the peas she's growing, idea being the lettuces would be harvested before the peas got big enough for the lettuces to bother them, might be something you could do when you put the french beans in?

LOL, does watching gardener's world mean i should get out more? :D

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D I think you're okay as long as you don't record it every week and put them in chronological order!! :D :D
    As for productive, four days off work in a row only happens twice a year...back to the grind tomorrow....but only for 3 hours and then I'm off 'up-country' to see the Arctic Monkeys!! Yay!! Hope they've got enough Stella.....perhaps I should phone them to make sure!! :D :D

7. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D
    Have a great time! Great band.
    Hmmm, I'm detecting a theme here - do I take it you quite like the odd stella?

8. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I now have 2 raised beds for my veg!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I stumbled across some scaffold planks yesterday and it seemed a shame not to make use of them! :D
    So my existing bed contains early potatoes (thanks Oktarine!), beetroot, carrots and spring onions and the new bed will house my French Beans, dwarf runners and courgettes....
    Now just got to get some Maincrop spuds and I'm away!!!!
    Will these things be ok sharing a bed or are there some things that shouldn't be grown together?????

10. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only one I know of is that onions and beans/peas don't tend to like growing together. For convenience, as you have two beds, I would tend to grow the greedy feeders in one (beans and peas, courgettes etc., sweetcorn, potatoes...) so you can give the whole bed a good dose of well-rotted manure; and the things that don't want such rich soil in the other (roots, beets and onions, salads, and brassicas). Conveniently, this is more or less how it's worked out for you!

For information on crop rotation I use Caroline Foley's allotment handbook (link to amazon page) - but if you want more advice on what she says goes together, do say and i'll go downstairs and fetch it to summarise!

11. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Claire [​IMG] I think mine's going to be more of a 'random' veg garden!! The only gust of wind we've had all afternoon happened just as I was putting seeds into my hand, so we're going to end up with lettuces sprouting up everywhere!!! :rolleyes: :D :D

12. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Click the link below for an update of my veggie plot !

13. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Thanks for the giggle on that one [​IMG]

14. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  15. windy miller

windy miller Gardener